Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Schaefer, Charles" <cs...@hafeleamericas.com> on 2004/03/29 20:44:02 UTC

[users@httpd] Problems with German characters in a English site

I am running RHEL 3.0, with apache 2.0 installed. After may problems getting
SSI to work, I finally succeeded, and I have found that there are many
differences between 1.3, and 2.0, one being the way SSI was handled. Well, I
have run into another problem, and it involves German character displaying
in a web page. In my 1.3 site, the German character ä displays correctly.
However, in 2.0 site, it displays as a small empty box. Any thoughts as to
what causes this, and how to correct it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Charles

Re: [users@httpd] Problems with German characters in a English site

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 29 Mar 2004, Schaefer, Charles wrote:

> I am running RHEL 3.0, with apache 2.0 installed. After may problems getting
> SSI to work, I finally succeeded, and I have found that there are many
> differences between 1.3, and 2.0, one being the way SSI was handled. Well, I
> have run into another problem, and it involves German character displaying
> in a web page. In my 1.3 site, the German character ä displays correctly.
> However, in 2.0 site, it displays as a small empty box. Any thoughts as to
> what causes this, and how to correct it would be appreciated.

Very little has changed in this area between 1.3 and 2.0.

In the typical situation, apache influences character sets in only a very
limitted way: by settin the charset in the Content-Type http header.  So
check the AddCharset and AddDefaultCharset directives in httpd.conf.

Also, if you can post a public URL with the problem here, some people may
be able to help diagnose the problem.

Joshua.