Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Sean Gilligan <se...@catalla.com> on 2006/05/03 07:54:13 UTC

Static URLs?

Why the importance of static content in the Wiki discussion of the new
URL structure for Roller?  Is it to be able to create a static archive
or for performance reasons?  (I thought the focus for performance was on
caching)  Are there specific applications that people have in mind?

Just curious...

Re: Static URLs?

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

David M Johnson wrote:

> On May 3, 2006, at 1:54 AM, Sean Gilligan wrote:
>> Why the importance of static content in the Wiki discussion of the new
>> URL structure for Roller?  Is it to be able to create a static archive
>> or for performance reasons?  (I thought the focus for performance was
>> on caching)  Are there specific applications that people have in mind?
>
> We've discussed static rendering for performance reasons. I'm not
> suggesting that we implement static rendering now, just that we keep it
> in mind as we design our URL structure. I don't want our  new URL
> structure design to prevent us from implementing it in the future.

I am going to support both camps here.  Namely, that we should be
mindful of the possibility of allowing a Roller installation to
statically generate content for delivery, but I currently do not think
that is something we need to pursue.

-- Allen

Re: Static URLs?

Posted by David M Johnson <Da...@Sun.COM>.