Posted to users@maven.apache.org by CodingPlayer <ro...@researchstudio.at> on 2007/08/22 14:19:30 UTC

[M2] maven-release-plugin: debug vs. release version

Hi,

i recently asked myself, if there is any possibility to discriminate between
a debug and a release version (like in the old C++ days).

what i mean exactly is, that when releasing a project, i would like to have
the possibility to decide to either generate a

debug-version:
- containing full debug information (javac -g)
- containing a -sources.jar
- no obfuscation
- active assertions and runtime checks

or a release-version:
- no debug information (javac -g:none)
- NO -sources.jar
- obfuscated classes
- no assertions and runtime checks

an example:
- lets say i want to release 'myproject' current snapshot 2.0-SNAPSHOT
- i would like to release a debug release (2.0) to my companies (internal)
remote repository (for other developers to have all sources, and see line
numbers and so on)
- and additionally i would like to release the same version (2.0) to an
(external) repository but containing a release version (obfuscated, no line
numbers, ...)

but i don't want to generate two version numbers (because those users
depending on 'myproject' using the latest version, should always retrieve
either the 'debug' or the 'release' version, depending whether they are in
my company and can access the internal repository, or not)

my only thoughts point to a solution, where i generate a profile for each
type of release, configuring plugins to generate different artifacts (JARs)
and running only the release:prepare command, then manually run the deploy
phase (with the external profile: other repository, changed compiler
settings, ...) and then executing release:perform (for the default release
to my remote repository).

maybe someone knows about a better way of doing so.

thx 4 help
R.C.

RE: [M2] maven-release-plugin: debug vs. release version

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Hi,

CodingPlayer wrote on Wednesday, August 22, 2007 2:20 PM:

> Hi,
>
> i recently asked myself, if there is any possibility to
> discriminate between
> a debug and a release version (like in the old C++ days).
>
> what i mean exactly is, that when releasing a project, i
> would like to have
> the possibility to decide to either generate a
>
> debug-version:
> - containing full debug information (javac -g)
> - containing a -sources.jar
> - no obfuscation
> - active assertions and runtime checks
>
> or a release-version:
> - no debug information (javac -g:none)
> - NO -sources.jar
> - obfuscated classes
> - no assertions and runtime checks
>

> an example:
> - lets say i want to release 'myproject' current snapshot 2.0-SNAPSHOT
> - i would like to release a debug release (2.0) to my
> companies (internal)
> remote repository (for other developers to have all sources,
> and see line
> numbers and so on)
> - and additionally i would like to release the same version (2.0) to
> an (external) repository but containing a release version
> (obfuscated, no line numbers, ...)
>

> but i don't want to generate two version numbers (because those users
> depending on 'myproject' using the latest version, should
> always retrieve
> either the 'debug' or the 'release' version, depending
> whether they are in
> my company and can access the internal repository, or not)
>

> my only thoughts point to a solution, where i generate a
> profile for each
> type of release, configuring plugins to generate different
> artifacts (JARs)
> and running only the release:prepare command, then manually
> run the deploy
> phase (with the external profile: other repository, changed compiler
> settings, ...) and then executing release:perform (for the
> default release
> to my remote repository).
>

> maybe someone knows about a better way of doing so.
>
> thx 4 help
> R.C.

use profiles and deploy manually again:

1. perform the normal release