Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Dürig <md...@adobe.com> on 2016/11/28 10:36:59 UTC

JSON License not allowed any more

Hi,

The JSON License has recently been moved to the list of licenses not
allowed to be included in Apache products (Category X) [1, 2].

For the Jackrabbit PMC this means that we have to remove all
dependencies to org.json:json within the grace period, which ends April
30th 2017. This affects all our products and branches we still do
release from, namely Jackrabbit 2, Jackrabbit Oak, FileVault. A quick
check on trunk revealed dependencies from Jackrabbit Oak oak-remote and
Jackrabbit 2 jcr-commons. FileVault doesn't seem to be affected. Didn't
check the branches.

I suggest to open respective blocker issues for all our products and
versions to ensure no JSON dependency slips into a release after April
30th 2017. WDYT?

Michael

[1] https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-x
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201611.mbox/%3C0CE2E8C9-D9B7-404D-93EF-A1F8B07189BF%40apache.org%3E

Re: JSON License not allowed any more

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
> I suggest to open respective blocker issues for all our products and
> versions to ensure no JSON dependency slips into a release after April
> 30th 2017. WDYT?

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JCR-4068 and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OAK-5171 for the respective issues.

Michael

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2016-11-28 14:00, Marcel Reutegger wrote:
> On 28/11/16 13:41, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> It's only used in a unit test that checks another JSON impl (our own?).
>> Do we have a list of acceptable alternatives to the JSON.org version? I
>> assume Jackson would be ok?
>
> I don't have a list, but in oak-core and oak-jcr we are using
> json-simple as a test dependency.
>
> Regards
>  Marcel

Yes, that seems to be the simplest possible thing to do here.

Best regards, Julian

Re: JSON License not allowed any more

Posted by Marcel Reutegger <mr...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2016-11-28 13:36, Michael D�rig wrote:

> On 28.11.16 1:03 , Julian Reschke wrote:
>> FWIW, Jackrabbit's dependency is test-scoped...

Where I meant the one in jcr-commons...

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.
On 2016-11-28 12:00, Michael D�rig wrote:

> On 28.11.16 11:56 , Julian Reschke wrote:
>> In the meantime, it seems, that we need to warn our users, as per:
>>
>> "Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
>> exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
>> notifies the end-user that a JSON licensed artifact exists. They
>> may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed." --
>> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201611.mbox/%3C0CE2E8C9-D9B7-404D-93EF-A1F8B07189BF%40apache.org%3E>
>>

>> ...and that applies to releases we do before April, as well, right?
>
> Right. Another blocker but this one applies immediately to all upcoming
> releases.

Would be good to have an example for the actual text to be used.

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.
On 28/11/2016 10:56, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Awesome. Well, if we have to do it, we have to do it.
>
> In the meantime, it seems, that we need to warn our users, as per:
>
> "Also please note that in the 2nd situation (where a temporary
> exclusion has been granted), you MUST ensure that NOTICE explicitly
> notifies the end-user that a JSON licensed artifact exists. They
> may not be aware of it up to now, and that MUST be addressed." --
> <http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/201611.mbox/%3C0CE2E8C9-D9B7-404D-93EF-A1F8B07189BF%40apache.org%3E>
>

> ...and that applies to releases we do before April, as well, right?

We may add a note in the release notes of all the branches, both JR and
Oak regardless. Just to be on the safe side. Then we can remove it later
on once we are sure no dependencies are no longer there.

Davide

Re: JSON License not allowed any more

Posted by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Julian Reschke <ju...@gmx.de>.