Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Robert Leland <rl...@apache.org> on 2004/04/09 00:38:54 UTC

[Validator] call for testers.

I would like to entice developers to give the Struts Nightly and/or the
commons-validator a try. I am announcing this only on the 'dev' list in the belief that since you subscribed to the 'dev' list you are generally more advanced. Also since I will be in a crunch for the next few days I can't promise, that I'll be able to help out is you hit a snag, so having a adventurous spirit helps.

if you haven't been scared away yet theh congradulations !

If you find the following validator features useful, then help us find
any bugs that may be lurking so that the next release of Struts will
hopefully make the beta or better rating.

The 2 Validator features which would be of the most interest are
  1) Ability to use multiple forms on the same page.
  2) Validation inheritance.
#2 is particularly useful if you have internationalized applications and you don't want to duplicate validations. The commons-validator CVS repository has unit tests demonstrating its use. Make sure to use the new DTD to use these  new features.

By the way --both-- features were user contributions, and greatly enhanced
the validators usefulness.

Note Struts 1.1 cannot be used with the nightly version of Struts.

The Night build of struts is built with the current Validator.
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/

If you use Validator stand alone:
http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-validator/

I would love to know how many people use Validator standalone.

-Rob

Re: [Validator] call for testers.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ah...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Rob,
how does this validation inheritance work? Is it documented anywhere?

Adam

On 04/09/2004 12:38 AM Robert Leland wrote:
> I would like to entice developers to give the Struts Nightly and/or the
> commons-validator a try. I am announcing this only on the 'dev' list in the belief that since you subscribed to the 'dev' list you are generally more advanced. Also since I will be in a crunch for the next few days I can't promise, that I'll be able to help out is you hit a snag, so having a adventurous spirit helps.
>
> if you haven't been scared away yet theh congradulations !
>
> If you find the following validator features useful, then help us find
> any bugs that may be lurking so that the next release of Struts will
> hopefully make the beta or better rating.
>
> The 2 Validator features which would be of the most interest are
>   1) Ability to use multiple forms on the same page.
>   2) Validation inheritance.
> #2 is particularly useful if you have internationalized applications and you don't want to duplicate validations. The commons-validator CVS repository has unit tests demonstrating its use. Make sure to use the new DTD to use these  new features.
>
> By the way --both-- features were user contributions, and greatly enhanced
> the validators usefulness.
>
> Note Struts 1.1 cannot be used with the nightly version of Struts.
>
> The Night build of struts is built with the current Validator.
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-struts/nightly/
>
> If you use Validator stand alone:
> http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-commons/nightly/commons-validator/
>
> I would love to know how many people use Validator standalone.
>
> -Rob

struts 1.2 + tomcat 5.0.19 + java 1.4.2
Linux 2.4.20 Debian