Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com> on 2020/02/12 22:34:58 UTC

Zookeeper upgrade required with Solr upgrade?

Hello,
We are running a SolrCloud (7.2.1) cluster and upgrading to Solr 7.7.2. We
run a separate multi node zookeeper ensemble which currently runs
Zookeeper 3.4.10.
Is it also required to upgrade Zookeeper (to  3.4.14 as per change.txt for
Solr 7.7.2) along with Solr ?

I tried a few basic updates requests for a 2 node SolrCloud cluster with
the older (3.4.10) zookeeper and it seemed to work fine. But just want to
know if there are any caveats I should be aware of.

Thanks,
Rahul

Re: Zookeeper upgrade required with Solr upgrade?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Yeah, 3.4.x upgrades were pretty strainght-forward.

The 3.5.5 upgrade was trickier, but the problems were in the
admin UI. The admin UI uses several “4 letter words” to do its
ZooKeeper reporting, and that required explicit permissions, but IIRC
that all only affected the admin UI reporting about Zookeeper. There
were a _lot_ of Solr changes, but that was mostly cosmetic and mostly
in the test code.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Rahul Goswami <ra...@gmail.com>.