Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Adrian Lanning <al...@hotmail.com> on 2004/06/28 18:04:28 UTC

thoughts on encouraging user development

Hi all,

I'm new to this list and looking forward to contributing.  Recent list messages have implied a lower community involvement in submitting patches and helping out.  I know its not an emergency or anything but I thought I'd throw some ideas out and try to stimulate some discussion on it.

At the risk of sounding silly I'd like to suggest that the first steps in encouring users to patch and contribute more might be trying to get the word out that the developers Want more user contribs (marketing) and making it easy to find out How to do it (usability).

I'm new to open-source development and contributing so maybe the contributing process is common knowledge.  But it took me a lot longer than I would have expected to find out how to contribute to Struts.  My original plan after not finding something on the Struts website was to email Ted Husted and ask him how to contribute. (I choose Ted simply because I own his book.) :-)   Then I happened to find something about emailing patches to the dev list.

Only in doing my due-diligence for this letter did I happen across this page which outlines the process:
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/helping.html

It would be interesting to see if just putting little links like, "Wanna contribute to Struts?  Click Here!" around the Struts website (especially the main page) has a noticable effect.  Also, putting a message from the developers on the main page about, "Ready for the next version?  Help us get there faster!" might help get the message across that not only is it ok to contribute, the developers actually want you to.

(Now I'm not trying to say that people think developers don't want contributions.  I don't know.  I'm just throwing out some ideas on how to encourage more user involvement.)

Thoughts?

Adrian Lanning

Re: thoughts on encouraging user development

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
I think Adrian raises some good points.  Adrian, note that we accept
patches to the docs as gladly as we accept patches to the code!

I hate to leave it at that, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to
do any closer review of the docs, and I certainly can't volunteer
anyone else to do it!

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com

Re: [OT] Re: Opening Salvo 'n CVS: step two: build time

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Craig McClanahan wrote:

> Michael McGrady wrote:
>
>> I have successfully, and without too much difficulty, now uploaded the
>> struts src code into the wincvs as follows:
>>
>> 1.  Downloaded and installed Python 2.3.4 from http://www.python.org/.
>> 2.  Downloaded and installed WinCVS13b18 from http://www.wincvs.org/.
>> 3.  Rooted around in
>> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1
>> 4.  Got a reference to a WinCVS manual at
>> http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/howto/index.html.
>> 5.  Downloaded PuTTY from
>> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html.
>> 6.  Jettisoned PuTTY and went to SecureCRT at
>> http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/.
>> 7.  Got the jakarta cvs info source from Ted Husted:
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html.
>> 8.  Uploaded jakarta-struts with:
>>     Module name and path on the server = "jakarta-struts"
>>     Local folder to checkout to = "C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs 1.3\"
>>     CVSROOT = ":pwerver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic"
>>
>> I presume that I will want to do this all over and to find a more suitable
>> place to put the code, once I decide how to go about building the code.  I
>> know there is a split of preferences between Maven and Ant going on.
>> Could the adherents of each train of thought please give me what they
>> would do to build?  All the gory details are encouraged.  Thanks.  Who
>> knows?  Maybe in a week or so I might become useful.  ??
>>
>> Michael
>>
> I'm only familiar with the command line compilation environments (once you've
> got the source code checked out).  In either the Ant or Maven case, you'll
> want to install CYGWIN (http://www.cygwin.com) to give yourself a set of
> command line tools that is like those available on Unix and Linux systems.

Just wanted to point out that cygwin (or other Unix-like tool set) is not
actually required, for either the Ant or Maven approaches. If you're more
comfortable with Windows tools, you can skip this step.

--
Martin Cooper

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
Michael McGrady wrote:

> I have successfully, and without too much difficulty, now uploaded the
> struts src code into the wincvs as follows:
>
> 1.  Downloaded and installed Python 2.3.4 from http://www.python.org/.
> 2.  Downloaded and installed WinCVS13b18 from http://www.wincvs.org/.
> 3.  Rooted around in
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14033&group_id=1
> 4.  Got a reference to a WinCVS manual at
> http://cvsgui.sourceforge.net/howto/index.html.
> 5.  Downloaded PuTTY from
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html.
> 6.  Jettisoned PuTTY and went to SecureCRT at
> http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/.
> 7.  Got the jakarta cvs info source from Ted Husted:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html.
> 8.  Uploaded jakarta-struts with:
>     Module name and path on the server = "jakarta-struts"
>     Local folder to checkout to = "C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs 1.3\"
>     CVSROOT = ":pwerver:anoncvs@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic"
>
> I presume that I will want to do this all over and to find a more
> suitable place to put the code, once I decide how to go about building
> the code.  I know there is a split of preferences between Maven and
> Ant going on.  Could the adherents of each train of thought please
> give me what they would do to build?  All the gory details are
> encouraged.  Thanks.  Who knows?  Maybe in a week or so I might become
> useful.  ??
>
> Michael

I'm only familiar with the command line compilation environments (once
you've got the source code checked out).  In either the Ant or Maven
case, you'll want to install CYGWIN (http://www.cygwin.com) to give
yourself a set of command line tools that is like those available on
Unix and Linux systems.  Then:

Re: [OT] Re: Opening Salvo 'n CVS: step one

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Many thanks!

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.

Re: Opening Salvo 'n CVS

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
Thanks, Joe,

Even though I have reluctantly jettisoned JCVS, because I like to support
Java products, this was helpful for my understanding.

Michael

Re: Opening Salvo 'n CVS

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
I don't use JCVS, but I'm wondering if you should remove the path
segment from your "CVS Server" configuration.  That is, change
cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic
cvs.apache.org

 From the error message, I'm assuming that it is trying to use your

Re: Opening Salvo 'n CVS

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Opening Salvo 'n CVS

Posted by Joe Germuska <Jo...@Germuska.com>.
>Some people might feel that voting for a bug actually "counts" as a stronger
>comment, especially since they can leave a limited number of bugs yet leave
>comments all over.  Also, some might choose not to comment when whatever
>comment they might already make has already been said by somebody else.
>
>Maybe there's a way to disable voting for bugs if votes don't count anyway,

Personally, I think votes "count."  I don't think they should be
disabled, and I think that they are as effective a way as any for
community members to demonstrate their interest in a ticket.
Furthermore, I'd rather people vote than simply add "me too" to the
comments.

Joe

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
--- Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
> I can personally guarantee that if two or three developers post to a ticket
> and say "works for me", especially if they are names that I've seen before,
> the patch will be (and has been) applied. [Of course, whether it "sticks"
> is up to the rest of the committers :)]

I have no doubt about that.  What I tried to point out is my observation that
people don't seem to try out a patch just by pure coincidence.  Out of the
few who do nightly builds to use in their production apps, coincidentally
trying out the very same patch out of the two dozen reports with patches seem
like long odds.  My suggestion was for a committer who's interested in
applying a patch, but not having the time to try it out himself, to make a
call for developers to try it out.  IIRC, I've seen this happen, and indeed
the patch got applied.  Sort of a "committer-approved short list".

> When I review tickets, the ones with additional comments do get the most
> attention, the ones that stand alone do get the least.
<snip/>
> This is a meritocracy, and hands-on effort
> counts for more than does clicking on a radio button.
<snip/>
> We need to hear from other members of the community that this
> issue is a problem for people <snip/>

Some people might feel that voting for a bug actually "counts" as a stronger
comment, especially since they can leave a limited number of bugs yet leave
comments all over.  Also, some might choose not to comment when whatever
comment they might already make has already been said by somebody else.

Maybe there's a way to disable voting for bugs if votes don't count anyway,
or at least let people know that textual comments count more than votes, just
to avoid the misconception.  I've seen reports where there were more votes
than comments.  If those people knew leaving a comment counted more than
casting their limited votes, it's a good bet that they would've actually left
comments instead.

> Here's another reason why: All the committers are very busy guys right now.

I think people sense this, and that's why there were calls sometime ago for
more committers.  Personally, I don't feel there's a need for more
committers.  I think the current batch of committers are doing a wonderful
job, and I'm glad the bigger changes (such as struts-chain) aren't being
treated as an overnight job.  I'm also glad that just submitting a patch
doesn't make a contributor a committer.

I think the fact that there aren't a whole bunch of changes right now reflect
the stability of Struts.  Struts already provides so much, and yet remains
very reliable -- only a small percentage of the 262 tickets are really bugs,
most are just enhancement requests.  The few bugs I've seen on the tickets
seem to only affect really obscure situations.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
I can personally guarantee that if two or three developers post to a ticket and say "works for me", especially if they are names that I've seen before, the patch will be (and has been) applied. [Of course, whether it "sticks" is up to the rest of the committers :)]

When I review tickets, the ones with additional comments do get the most attention, the ones that stand alone do get the least. The ones without patches or comments will probably never be pursued. The squeaky wheels get the oil.  Votes are nice, but what I really want to know is if they've tried the patch themselves. This is a meritocracy, and hands-on effort counts for more than does clicking on a radio button.

Here's a big reason why: If the ticket affected the applications I write, or the applications any of the committers write, the problem would already be fixed. We need to hear from other members of the community that this issue is a problem for people, and that this is a solution that they would use. When the problem is one that our application do not share, this is not a judgment we can make on our own.

Here's another reason why: All the committers are very busy guys right now. We have very few hours to spend on Apache, and need to take care that we spend these hours wisely. Seeing interest in a patch helps us set priorities. All the reports do go to the DEV list, and older reports often" bubble to the top" that way.

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
Steve,

[...]

I've been lurking, and IIRC it got a few responses and the patch got applied.

Posted by Steve Raeburn <sr...@apache.org>.
Michael,

Posted by Hubert Rabago <ja...@yahoo.com>.
--- Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com> wrote:
<snip/>
> it might be helpful if someone with perspective on the struts "project"
> indicated in clear terms what would be helpful.
<snip/>
> This is especially so if contributions are
> going to just sit without review for an indeterminate period.  I think
> everyone likes to think that there work is going to at least have a chance
> at making a difference.
>
> This is not written in despair.  I can tell that struts is doing just
> fine.  Great in fact.  Love it.  Just some thoughts if anyone cares about
> this perspective.
>
> Michael

I agree on the points Michael made here (including those on the last
paragraph).  I think more people would be encouraged to contribute if they
knew which areas they should spend time on.  The standard response often
includes "contributing and reviewing patches", but not all submitted or
reviewed patches can be applied.  Maybe a patch/code version of
http://struts.apache.org/faqs/newbie.html#undocumented would help.

[Speaking of which, how do contributions to the items listed in
faqs/newbie.html#undocumented get submitted?]

Hubert

Re: thoughts on encouraging user development

Posted by Michael McGrady <mi...@michaelmcgrady.com>.
This was one of the more helpful posts in this regard in a long
time.  Thanks Ted.

 From the point of view of someone who regularly adds code to the struts