Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> on 2004/12/31 18:22:11 UTC

Forwarding mail as an attachment from M-^%@#%$&#$@!!!-S Outlook

I know I've seen a number of suggestions here and there for "How to
forward mail as an attachment from MS Outlook".  I've searched through
the archives - more or less - and haven't quite found what I'm certain
I've seen.

So:  How do you forward a message as an attachment from MS Outlook, and
which version(s) of Outlook does that particular method work for?

If the best possible with some version is "resending" or something like
Pine's "bounce" capability, how is that done and what does it mangle?
(It *will* mangle things, because new, *legitimate* headers get added.)

Solutions involving Exchange are interesting but in my case useless;
I'm an ISP mail admin running Linux servers and the recipients are
customers using any number of flavours of Outlook.

-kgd
--
Get your mouse off of there!  You don't know where that email has been!

Re: Forwarding mail as an attachment from M-^%@#%$&#$@!!!-S Outlook

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> If the best possible with some version is "resending" or something like

Do not 'resend'.  This will mash the headers.

The simplest method (but not necessarily for the user) is to have the user
create a new mail message, address it "to spam@myisp" (or whatever) and then
drag the spam message from their inbox into the message, then send the new
message.  Dragging the spam from the inbox will turn it into an attachment.
Usually this will be a mime attachment.  Sometimes various versions of
Outlook might decide to do it as a UUEncoded part of the body.  (Usually
this only happens when you send an attachment using the "Send to" menu item
in some other program like Word.)

Obviously you can have a global address book entry for the spam and ham
addresses so that the user can just enter "spam" or "ham" or the like to
simplify things a little.

The trick though is dropping the spam message into a new message to make it
an attachment.  Forwarding or resending the spam will mash the headers
beyond use.  Of course, then you have to unwrap the attachment to process
the original message.

Another easier way is to make some IMAP folders on your server, possibly as
public folders, and then have the users attach to these folders.  Then they
can right-click on the spam message, select "copy to folder", and select the
spam folder.  That will do it for them, and you will get nice clean spam
messages in your spam folder.  You can have a cron job harvest the folder
and clean it out every so often.

        Loren

Re: Forwarding mail as an attachment from M-^%@#%$&#$@!!!-S Outlook

Posted by Homer Parker <hp...@homershut.net>.
On Fri, 2004-12-31 at 12:22 -0500, Kris Deugau wrote:

> So:  How do you forward a message as an attachment from MS Outlook, and
> which version(s) of Outlook does that particular method work for?
>
> If the best possible with some version is "resending" or something like
> Pine's "bounce" capability, how is that done and what does it mangle?
> (It *will* mangle things, because new, *legitimate* headers get added.)

Take a look at:

http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

--
Homer Parker <hp...@homershut.net>