Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jaki <ja...@infosys.com> on 2008/09/20 08:55:29 UTC

JVM config for tomcat5.5

Hi,
I wanted to know where java_home is set for Tomcat when it's installed as a
service since I can't find any .bat/.sh files in my tomcat folder. Thanks

Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: [OT] Chuck
>
> Can you please inform us of the best path to follow ?

The postscript on my messages is, of course, required by our bloody lawyers.  (Similar - sometimes more extensive - messages appear on others' e-mails when sent from corporate accounts or equipment.)

I would interpret "recipient" to mean anyone whom I intended to receive the message - which is everyone on the Tomcat users list or readers of the list archives.  Despite the presence of the key clause "MAY CONTAIN ...", I insure that no Unisys private information is ever included in what I say in this or any other public forum.

So you are not receiving it in error, and I don't think there's any concern about hanging onto the information.

 - Chuck

[OT] Chuck

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Dear Chuck,

I carefully save your postings to this list, as a future source of
wisdom and inspiration.

Except the ones that tell me that I should delete my unofficial Linux
Debian Tomcat package, those I don't. But you repeat them often enough
that they are always on a recent page somewhere.

It just came to my attention however that most of your communications to
the list end with the formula below, so now I am in a quandary. Since
many of these emails are not personally addressed to me, I'm afraid that
by saving your messages, I am somehow putting myself in a legally
questionable situation, which could result in my laptop being
confiscated for discovery, my network being monitored by your employer,
or worse, maybe even lawyers getting involved.

I wonder thus if I should personally delete these messages, but I am
also concerned by the community on this list at large.  Should they all
do the same, and should all your messages also be purged from the list
archives ?  Obviously, several thousand people cannot all be the
intended recipient. The word recipient is also specifically mentioned in
singular form in the formula below, which also specifically indicates
that the messages should be deleted from ALL computers.

Can you please inform us of the best path to follow ?

Quoted for the sole purpose of illustration :

> THIS COMMUNICATION MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR OTHERWISE PROPRIETARY MATERIAL and is thus for use only by the intended recipient. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and its attachments from all computers.

unquote
(Not that people would wonder what to do with this message also. Go
ahead, you can delete it. You just don't have to.)

RE: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: jaki [mailto:jackie_james@infosys.com]
> Subject: Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5
>
> Is it necessary that catalina.home system property
> is always set for a tomcat install?

It's not necessary to have it set during Tomcat installation.  It is necessary during Tomcat execution, but this is normally taken care of by the startup scripts or the service wrapper, and need not be done manually.

 - Chuck

Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by jaki <ja...@infosys.com>.
Hi all,
One more thing I wanted clarification on..Is it necessary that catalina.home
system property is always set for a tomcat install? Cause trying to retrieve
it from within a java class gives me null. But I can also find it being
referenced in many of the config files, so any help on where the value for
that is coming from would be a big help too. Thanks

Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Martin Gainty:

[...]

Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <to...@list-post.mks-mail.de>.
Martin Gainty:

> you'll definitely need the JDK in $JAVA_HOME
> and $JDK_HOME/bin to compile the JSPs..

No, a JRE is enough.

Regards
   mks

RE: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Jon-

you'll definitely need the JDK in $JAVA_HOME
and $JDK_HOME/bin to compile the JSPs..

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

RE: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by jaki <ja...@infosys.com>.
Thanks for pointing that out. I was trying to retrieve java.home used by
tomcat using a java program. I could go with sys.getProperty("java.home"),
but the value returned doesn't always have to match with java.home local to
tomcat. So it seems peeking into the registry is the only way forward for
me. But not the best way since I want the program to be OS independent. So,
if there are other suggestions kindly help me with them.

Re: JVM config for tomcat5.5

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.