Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com> on 2002/06/20 15:37:15 UTC

Tinny, Alby: Follow up Question: Xerces-C .NET Project Files

Tinny:

I will manage the patches to the vc7 (visual studio .net) projects files as
you requested. I do have one question.

There is one change that I am making that I thought I should run by you, or
anyone else listening out there. Presently the xml4com project is deployed
to the "~\build\win32\xml4com" directory for vc6 projects. I would have
thought xml4com should have been put below the VC6 directory. Another
consequence of this is that it is deployed in a directory parallel to the
borland c++ directory. Really odd IMHO.

My suggestion is to put it down within the compiler specific directory. For
instance, going with the way I am suggesting the new directory layout would be:

build
    win32
       vc6
          xml4com
          ... blah blah blah
       vc7
           xml4com
          ... blah blah blah

thoughts? Is this fine? Was there a particular reason this was never put
down one additional level, or perhaps is this just an artifact left over
from a prior rearrangement of the source/build tree?

Actually I just thought of a better question. Why is does the xml4com build
directory even exist? Shouldn't the build artifacts for the COM stuff also
go in the "build\win32\vc[6|7]\[debug|release]" directories? Is there a
reason for this?

Alberto, if you are listening into this conversation too, what are your
thoughts too?

Bob

Tinny: Xerces-C MS VS .NET Project Files Checked In

Posted by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com>.
Tinny,

I have completed the upgrade to .NET. Please find the appropriate patches
and attached zip files at the bug database for the following items:

Bug #10065 :  Updated COM Source File to eliminate error in .NET
Bug #10067 : Updated SEnumVal example source file to eliminate warning;
operator precedence mistake.
Bug #10180 : New Visual Studio .NET project files.

Question 1: Would it be possible to get these into source control for the
next nightly build?

Let me detail what is still missing:

I need to modify packageBinaries.pl to autodetect VC6 vs VC7. I have it
mostly figured out. Just need to do more testing on that. I will follow up
on this one after the above is checked in. This means that it (presently)
only works with VC6, not VC7. Nothing new here yet.

Thanks

-Bob

RE: memory leak in xerces c 2.0.0??

Posted by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com>.
Unless I'm missing something, it's the usual thing where the tool is too
stupid to realize that its dealing with C++, and that the buffer
allocated in the constructor is later going to be freed in the
destructor. Don't trust those tools unless you look yourself and see
what's going on.

-------------------------------------
Dean Roddey
The Charmed Quark Controller
droddey@charmedquark.com
www.charmedquark.com

Re: Tinny: Xerces-C MS VS .NET Project Files Done

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Bob,

After you created the bug report, then query it.  In the query page, there
is then a link to create attachement.  Please try and let me know if does
not work  Thanks!

Tinny

Re: Tinny, Alby: Follow up Question: Xerces-C .NET Project Files

Posted by Tinny Ng <tn...@ca.ibm.com>.
Bob,

I am not familiar with xml4com.   And our team here does not maintain nor
test this component.

Actually if there is anyone out there who still uses the xml4com and knows
the stuff, we need volunteer to help the maintenance.    There are a number
of outstanding bugzilla bugs regarding it, and our team does not have the
knowledge to fix them.

If nobody volunteer to patch this component, I would say don't even border
to include it in the new project files......

Tinny: Results of Porting to Xerces-C .NET Project Files

Posted by Robert Buck <rb...@mathworks.com>.
Tinny,

I got the project files working now for Visual Studio .NET. I am just
waiting for a response from Tinny on a prior email. Here are some results
that I have collated:

/#####################################
Build results:

1. various places:
         d:\programs\vstudio\7.0\Vc7\include\useoldio.h(29) : warning
C4995: '_OLD_IOSTREAMS_ARE_DEPRECATED': name was marked as #pragma deprecated

         **Resolution:
                 e.g. use <iostream> instead of <iostream.h>     in visual
c++ 7.0 or newer; will defer implementation to later date.
               no bug # assigned

2. xml4com:
         statreg.cpp is obsolete. Please remove it from your project.
         atlimpl.cpp is obsolete. Please remove it from your project.

3. xml4com.def

         ..\..\..\..\..\src\xercesc\com\xml4com.def : warning LNK4222:
exported symbol 'DllCanUnloadNow' should not be assigned an ordinal
         ..\..\..\..\..\src\xercesc\com\xml4com.def : warning LNK4222:
exported symbol 'DllGetClassObject' should not be assigned an ordinal
         ..\..\..\..\..\src\xercesc\com\xml4com.def : warning LNK4222:
exported symbol 'DllRegisterServer' should not be assigned an ordinal
         ..\..\..\..\..\src\xercesc\com\xml4com.def : warning LNK4222:
exported symbol 'DllUnregisterServer' should not be assigned an ordinal

**Items 2 & 3 are bug # 10065  See bug report for details of appropriate
fixes. Someone will need to review the suggested changes and check the
changes in for me. It would be ideal to have these commited to source
control for the next release.

##################################

SEnumVal:
         SEnumVal.cpp:
                 d:\development\3rd-party\xerces\latest\xerces-c-src_2002-06-18\samples\SEnumVal\SEnumVal.cpp(316)
: warning C4554: '&' : check operator precedence for possible error; use
parentheses to clarify precedence
                 d:\development\3rd-party\xerces\latest\xerces-c-src_2002-06-18\samples\SEnumVal\SEnumVal.cpp(319)
: warning C4554: '&' : check operator precedence for possible error; use
parentheses to clarify precedence
                 d:\development\3rd-party\xerces\latest\xerces-c-src_2002-06-18\samples\SEnumVal\SEnumVal.cpp(322)
: warning C4554: '&' : check operator precedence for possible error; use
parentheses to clarify precedence

Microsoft's warning is valid. For example:

     ( mflags & SchemaSymbols::NILLABLE  != 0 )

is poorly written and will be evaluated improperly since "!=" has higher
precedence than "&".

** Bug # 10067 details the problem and corrective action. It would be ideal
to have these commited to source control for the next release.

######################################
Test results:

Ran the test script in "scripts" and all looks fine there.

Posted by Alberto Massari <al...@exln.com>.
Hi Bob,

At 06.37 20/06/2002 -0700, Robert Buck wrote:
>[...]
>Actually I just thought of a better question. Why is does the xml4com
>build directory even exist? Shouldn't the build artifacts for the COM
>stuff also go in the "build\win32\vc[6|7]\[debug|release]" directories? Is
>there a reason for this?
>
>Alberto, if you are listening into this conversation too, what are your
>thoughts too?

IMO, the output of xml4com should go in the same [debug|release] directory
used by the same compiler (I guess xml4com needs to dynamically load the
Xerces DLL, and it's easier to have it in the same directory instead of
changing the PATH env variable).
But I never used nor compiled xml4com, so my opinion is not really an
informed one...

Alberto