Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Sean McCully <se...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/17 21:46:58 UTC

Derby Driver

Hello I probably have a rather simple question, when I execute the following line

  Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();

  it throws the following exception

  java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

  derby.jar is included in my Classpath, what is the problem?

  Thanks!!

---------------------------------

Re: Derby Driver

Posted by Stanley Bradbury <St...@gmail.com>.
Sean McCully wrote:

> Apologies should I continue the discussion here or move it?
>
> Yes when I execute the derby jar it works, and actually I was able to
> get the driver to load by merely replacing the String name with a
> String constant but on subsequents loads it failed. Also this may be
> due to the computer I was using which experienced a crashed
> afterwards. I will check tommorrow and move this discussion to the
> derby-user mailing list.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> */....  SNIP ...
> /*
>

>         On 11/17/05, *Sean McCully* < sean_mccully@yahoo.com
>         <ma...@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>
>             Hello I probably have a rather simple question, when I
>             execute the following line
>
>             Class.forName("org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver").newInstance();
>

>             it throws the following exception
>
>             java.lang.ClassNotFoundException :
>             org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver
>
>             derby.jar is included in my Classpath, what is the problem?

Hi Sean -
Are you using and IDE or executing in a server environment?  In these
cases you need to be sure that derby.jar is in the classpath of the
Server / IDE.  Hope it's something as easy as this.

Re: Derby Driver

Posted by Sean McCully <se...@yahoo.com>.
Apologies should I continue the discussion here or move it?

  Yes when I execute the derby jar it works, and actually I was able to get the driver to load by merely replacing the String name with a String constant but on subsequents loads it failed. Also this may be due to the computer I was using which experienced a crashed afterwards. I will check tommorrow and move this discussion to the derby-user mailing list.

  Thanks!!

Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:
  Btw, this kind of question should be posted to derby-user mailing list preferrably...

  On 11/17/05, Francois Orsini < francois.orsini@gmail.com> wrote:  Seems like a classpath issue...is your application using the default JVM classloader

On the command-line,  can you run: (you need to have derby.jar or derbytools.jar in the classpath)

java org.apache.derby.tools.sysinfo

Do you get the same ClassNotFound exception?

  On 11/17/05, Sean McCully < sean_mccully@yahoo.com> wrote:     Hello I probably have a rather simple question, when I execute the following line

Re: Derby Driver

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.

Re: Derby Driver