Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Weilt <gu...@gmail.com> on 2006/12/02 17:35:47 UTC

gzip bwtween apache and backend server

Hi,

Currently I'm setting up apache as a reverse proxy. The problem is I want to
make sure the content of http communication between apache and backend
server  are always gzipped, even if the client browser doesn't support gzip
or doesn't send "Accept-Encoding:gzip,deflate" header. If apache gets
gzipped content from backend server and notice the original client request
doesn't contain  "Accept-Encoding:gzip,deflate" header, it need to inflate
the content and send it to user.

My question is, what's the minimum effort to achieve this goal. I tried
mod_deflate, and found it always follow accept-encoding header from client.
I used gdb to trace it and found that inflate and deflate only apply to the
original request. The fake request made by mod_proxy isn't affected. Another
problem is I used "SetInputFilter  DEFLATE", gdb breakpoint on
deflate_in_filter function, but it still didn't work,the content was still
ungzipped.

So how can I  write a module to achieve this, what's the major points? I
have written simple input and output filters.

Thanks a lot!

gushaow

Re: gzip bwtween apache and backend server

Posted by Weilt <gu...@gmail.com>.
And how to force the proxy to send out gzipped post request to  bakcend
server?

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.