Posted to dev@archiva.apache.org by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com> on 2008/11/14 01:40:34 UTC

Search improvements for 1.2

Hey guys,
As mentioned on IRC we all agreed that our search feature is a little
suboptimal.

I would like to propose the following improvements:
* Search should be more like mvnrepository.com (showing codebase
growth etc).
* We should figure out a way of using up stream repository indexes to
improve search results.
filter approach so that you could do bytecode: search results that
include free text search.
* UI improvements so that the user experience feels more intuitive.

Discuss!

James

Re: Search improvements for 1.2

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
oops sorry about that :-)

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
We need automatic database upgrade at startup.

-D

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
+1 from me too :)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 19:54 -0500, Wendy Smoak wrote:
> I notice the label says "Version(s)" but each one is on a separate
> line.  Should that just be "Version" or is the intent to group all
> versions for the same groupId/artifactId as one search result?  -Wendy

Yeah, the intent is to collapse it all into a single result - Ill be
making that part of the current set of changes.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.
Hi All,

I've picked up what James has started in the archiva-nexus-indexer branch
[1]

So far, we're now able to generate an index in the Nexus format. A search
implementation which uses
the Nexus indexer for searching is still in the works. Aside from this,
there are still a number of search-related
issues/tasks that need to be done as James mentioned in his previous mail
(see below) before we're good to go for a 1.2-M2 release.
I'll try to stage a running instance by next week so you could see the
changes being done in the branch :)

Thanks,
Deng

[1] http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/archiva/branches/archiva-nexus-indexer/

--
Maria Odea Ching
Software Engineer | Exist Global | 687-4091 | Skype: maria.odea.ching |

Re: Search improvements for 1.2

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.
On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 16:19 +1100, Brett Porter wrote:
> Looks good to me too. Is it trunk ready already?

Almost - I need to cleanup a few unit tests before it goes into trunk.
Ill probably merge this in tonight.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Maria Odea Ching <oc...@apache.org>.

Posted by James William Dumay <ja...@atlassian.com>.