Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Makrand <ma...@gmail.com> on 2017/02/15 06:13:05 UTC

Moving VMs to particular Hosts

Hi,

Lets say I've a XENserver resource pool containing 8 hosts in my cloudstack
setup. I've only handful of windows VM running, lets say on host1. In case
host1 goes down abruptly, is there any way I can restrict these VMs to move
(via HA motion) to only host 2,3 or 4 and not to remaining hosts in
cluster? Is this doable from cloud stack?

Thing is, we only have handful of windows VMs (2008 R2/2012 R2). The way
Microsoft licences: If you're expecting your VM to reside on particular
host, you should purchase license for that host. This is what the Microsoft
guy told to my manager. So we are planning to license 4 hosts only. Kind of
odd licensing policy from MS, I must say.

--
Makrand

Re: Moving VMs to particular Hosts

Posted by Marc-Aurèle Brothier <ma...@exoscale.ch>.
Erik is correct about the preferred guest os to stick Windows VMs to a set
of hosts. We're not using HA, so I cannot guarantee that they will be
picked up but it should.

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Koushik Das <ko...@accelerite.com>.
Use host tags or only have the required number of hosts in the cluster.

-Koushik

On 15/02/17, 11:43 AM, "Makrand" <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    Lets say I've a XENserver resource pool containing 8 hosts in my cloudstack
    setup. I've only handful of windows VM running, lets say on host1. In case
    host1 goes down abruptly, is there any way I can restrict these VMs to move
    (via HA motion) to only host 2,3 or 4 and not to remaining hosts in
    cluster? Is this doable from cloud stack?

    Thing is, we only have handful of windows VMs (2008 R2/2012 R2). The way
    Microsoft licences: If you're expecting your VM to reside on particular
    host, you should purchase license for that host. This is what the Microsoft
    guy told to my manager. So we are planning to license 4 hosts only. Kind of
    odd licensing policy from MS, I must say.

    --
    Makrand

DISCLAIMER
This e-mail may contain privileged and confidential information which is the property of Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business. It is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, retain, copy, print, distribute or use this message. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this message. Accelerite, a Persistent Systems business does not accept any liability for virus infected mails.