Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Tina Tsui <tt...@bellsouth.net> on 2003/06/06 17:33:17 UTC

PB only vs ODMG

Hello, again.  I have another newbie question.

Please tell me more about design and coding benefits of using ODMG vs PB
directly.  From the tutorials, you still have to get a broker, ask the
broker to begin transaction, perform the operation (insert, update or
delete) and commit or rollback the transaction in the UseCase classes.

I know ODMG provides locking.  I'm using PostgreSQL with optimistic
locking, so I would think PostgreSQL should handling concurrency
conflicts and my commit would fail, then I would retry with a refreshed
transaction.  Does ODMG offers automatic retry?

I have used object databases with OQL capabilities before, and to me OQL
not as robust as SQL in constructing complicated queries.  Also in the
tutorials, QBE seems more elegant than OQL since we are passing objects
in QBE and building strings in OQL.  Please enlighten me.  I may have
developed a brain leak in my old age.

Thanks!
Tina