Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Miles Egan <mi...@caddr.com> on 2003/04/09 17:53:05 UTC

cryptic error message

I'm getting this error in my logs:

[java] 19875 [PoolThread-9] ERROR tapestry.AbstractPage  -
com.pixar.web.dvdshop.HomePage@46d228[Home]
attach(com.pixar.web.dvdshop.Engine@1d47b2b[name=DVD
Shop,dirty=true,locale=en_US,stateful=true,visit=com.pixar.web.dvdshop.Visit@e265d0,activePageNames=<null>]), but engine = com.pixar.web.dvdshop.Engine@1d47b2b[name=DVD Shop,dirty=true,locale=en_US,stateful=true,visit=com.pixar.web.dvdshop.Visit@e265d0,activePageNames=<null>]

Is this something I should worry about?  The application seems to work
fine.

--
Miles Egan <mi...@caddr.com>

RE: cryptic error message

Posted by Miles Egan <mi...@caddr.com>.
On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 08:58, Howard M. Lewis Ship wrote:
> This means that you overrode the method detach() but failed to invoke
> super.detach().

Ok.  Thanks.

> We need to change the check for this to be more understandable.
>
> In release NextGen, you very rarely override detach(), so this is less of an
> issue.  Even in release 2.3, you may want to override initialize() rather
> than detach().  The base implementation of initialize() is empty, so it
> doesn't have to be invoked when overriden.

Is this because it's recommended to use the default page persistence
stuff?  If I'm implementing my own persistence for a property I still
need to reset stuff in detach(), right?  Or is it better to do this in
initialize()?

Finally getting my app together.  The learning curve for Tapestry is
still somewhat steep, I think, and more howto documentation would
definitely help a lot, but I'm really enjoying it now that I'm beginning
to get it and, most importantly, I don't feel like I'm writing much, if
any, superfluous code.  It really seems like all the code directly
contributes to functionality and that there's very little boilerplate.
One of the hallmarks of a good framework, in my opinion.

--
Miles Egan <mi...@caddr.com>

RE: cryptic error message

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
This means that you overrode the method detach() but failed to invoke
super.detach().

We need to change the check for this to be more understandable.

In release NextGen, you very rarely override detach(), so this is less of an
issue.  Even in release 2.3, you may want to override initialize() rather
than detach().  The base implementation of initialize() is empty, so it
doesn't have to be invoked when overriden.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry