Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Mike Spreitzer <ms...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/10/01 19:53:19 UTC

Re: Validation fails due to NoClassDefFoundError: org/w3c/dom/DOMErrorHandler, even though xercesImpl.jar is in webapps/axis-rc1/WEB-INF/lib

1.  As was shown in my typescript, I am using IBM's "JDK" 1.3.1.

2.  When I removes Xerces --- specifically, xercesImpl.jar and
xmlParserAPIs.jar --- from my Axis RC2 WEB-INF/lib/, the validation
succeeds!  Note that Tomcat 4.0.4 ships with a "xerces.jar" in its
common/lib/.  I recommend a fix to the Axis documentation ---
specifically, to Step 2 of the installation instructions, which currently
say unconditionally to put an XML parser in Axis' WEB-INF/lib/.

3.  In Tomcat's common/lib, if I replace xerces.jar with xercesImpl.jar
and xmlParserAPIs.jar, Axis RC2's validation test also succeeds.

4.  I have not tried upgrading to a more recent version of Tomcat.  I am
now having success with the 4.0.4 that I already have.

Thanks,
Mike