Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jens Ansorg <li...@ja-web.de> on 2006/01/16 10:40:01 UTC

locked files after updating lucene to 1.4.3

hi,

I run into an issue after updating lucene libs from 1.3-final to 1.4.3.

We have a batch job on our web server that recreates the lucene search
index every night. This job deletes all index and creates a new one.

This search index gets used by the lucene-powered search feature of the
web site /IS + Resin-2.1.11).

The search itself still works. but once I did a search on the web site
some files in the index become locked. And n the index updater fails
because it tries to delete those locked files ... The error is
someething like

[ERROR][2006-01-15 08:15:01 - main - de.bcg.web.search.BcgSiteSearch]
Error while building index.
java.io.IOException: couldn't delete _e3.tis
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.create(FSDirectory.java:166)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.<init>(FSDirectory.java:151)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(FSDirectory.java:132)
	at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.getDirectory(FSDirectory.java:113)
	at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:151)
	at de.bcg.web.search.BcgSiteSearch.buildIndex(BcgSiteSearch.java:99)
	at de.bcg.web.search.BcgSiteSearch.main(BcgSiteSearch.java:71)

The developer of the search stuff is no longer here and I have to
maintain that stuff. Now, why does this locking happen? Didn never
happen with 1.3. So I probably need to update something in the code.

any hints about what causes the lock and how to fix this are very welcome :)

thanks
Jens Ansorg