Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/15 18:22:14 UTC

Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Hi folks.   Every few months, i try to reboot the conversation about the
next generation of bigtop.

There are 3 things which i think we should consider : A backplane (rather
than deploy to machines, the meaning of the term "ecosystem" in a
post-spark in-memory apacolypse, and containerization.

1) BACKPLANE: The new trend is to have a backplane that provides networking
abstractions for you (mesos, kubernetes, yarn, and so on).   Is it time for
us to pick a resource manager?

2) ECOSYSTEM?: Nowadays folks don't necessarily need the whole hadoop
ecosystem, and there is a huge shift to in-memory, monolithic stacks
happening (i.e. gridgain or spark can do what 90% of the hadoop ecosystem
already does, supporting streams, batch,sql all in one).

3) CONTAINERS:  we are doing a great job w/ docker in our build infra.  Is
it time to start experimenting with running docker tarballs ?

Combining 1+2+3 - i could see a useful bigdata upstream distro which (1)
just installed an HCFS implementation (gluster,HDFS,...) along side, say,
(2) mesos as a backplane for the tooling for [[ hbase + spark + ignite ]]
--- and then (3) do the integration testing of available mesos-framework
plugins for ignite and spark underneath.  If other folks are interested,
maybe we could create the "1x" or "in-memory" branch to start hacking on it
sometime ?    Maybe even bring the flink guys in as well, as they are
interested in bigtop packaging.

--
jay vyas

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
> Is it time for us to pick a resource manager?

Not if we want to be like a Debian for big data software.  I'm not sure we
want to limit our reach by being overly opinionated. With my user's hat on,
if we don't package Hadoop and YARN, then I wouldn't have any use for
Bigtop.

> Nowadays folks don't necessarily need the whole hadoop ecosystem, and
there is a huge shift to in-memory, monolithic stacks happening

A Bigtop user would only need to install the packages they would like to
use, right? Is this an argument for exclusion? Exclusion of what?

> Is it time to start experimenting with running docker tarballs ?

T​his sounds fine as an additional target for builds, but not if it leads
to a proposal to do away with
​ the​
OS native packaging.
​That's useful too. Containers are trendy but not useful or even
appropriate for every environment or use case.​
​ ​

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.
Your right Bruno , I could, but I have no need of such a thing:)....

And in any case --- this thread is just about sharing ideas, letting the whole community speak up about their opinions on the future of bigtop. it's not about driving a particular project direction.

Bigtop is a unique project in that we integrate a lot of tools in a rapidly changing landscape, so it's good to have some feelers out there to see what our users are thinking.

Thanks all for the feedback, hope to get more!

Posted by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:22 AM, jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks.   Every few months, i try to reboot the conversation about the
> next generation of bigtop.
>
> There are 3 things which i think we should consider : A backplane (rather
> than deploy to machines, the meaning of the term "ecosystem" in a post-spark
> in-memory apacolypse, and containerization.
>
> 1) BACKPLANE: The new trend is to have a backplane that provides networking
> abstractions for you (mesos, kubernetes, yarn, and so on).   Is it time for
> us to pick a resource manager?

Let me rephrase the above and see if we're talking about the same thing. To
me your question is really about "what does a datacenter look like to Bigtop".
Today a datacenter looks to Bigtop as a bunch of individual nodes running
some kind of a Linux distribution. What you seem to be asking is that whether
it is time for us to embrace the vision of a datacenter that looks like mesos,
etc. Correct?

Also, I don't think you're suggesting that we drop the bread-n-butter of Bigtop,
but I still need to make sure.

> 2) ECOSYSTEM?: Nowadays folks don't necessarily need the whole hadoop
> ecosystem, and there is a huge shift to in-memory, monolithic stacks
> happening (i.e. gridgain or spark can do what 90% of the hadoop ecosystem
> already does, supporting streams, batch,sql all in one).

Correct. That said, I'm not sure what it means for Bigtop.

> 3) CONTAINERS:  we are doing a great job w/ docker in our build infra.  Is
> it time to start experimenting with running docker tarballs ?

I think it is time, but

> Combining 1+2+3 - i could see a useful bigdata upstream distro which (1)
> just installed an HCFS implementation (gluster,HDFS,...) along side, say,
> (2) mesos as a backplane for the tooling for [[ hbase + spark + ignite ]]
> --- and then (3) do the integration testing of available mesos-framework
> plugins for ignite and spark underneath.  If other folks are interested,
> maybe we could create the "1x" or "in-memory" branch to start hacking on it
> sometime ?    Maybe even bring the flink guys in as well, as they are
> interested in bigtop packaging.

I'm actually very curious about use cases that folks might have around
traditional Hadoop Distributions. What you're articulating above seems
like one of those use cases, but at this point I'm sort of lost as to
what's the most common use case.

Thanks,
Roman.

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
I personally like the idea of including mesos, docker stuff as
options we provided to users. No doubt that these solutions can gain more
eyeballs and attract new users/contributors to the bigtop family.
As mentioned above, the use case seems still not clear yet, but there might
be a chance that people will start to adopt them because of bigtop's
support.

Comming back to earth, to be honest I don't need thing like mesos, too. So
including it would be a little bit difficaut since there's no real demand
on it so far. Probably people who is intrested in the technology can start
with an alpha/experimental feature and see if lots of poeple has intrest on
it. The feature should be able to push in to our code base as long as
there's a maintainer who committed to maintain it. I can pair program with
Jay if you'd like to work on it. :)
 2015年6月17日 上午3:02於 "Andrew Purtell" <ap...@apache.org>寫道:

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.
Awesome!
Glad to know other people's thought.
I think one of the major thing above those is the documentation. We have
done so many work making bigtop 1.0 a great software. Now we just need to
show people how to use it and what it is capable of doing.

I'll be able to write down some guide in bigtop provisioner and CI infra
stuff. But just want to push 1.0 release forward now with my limited cycle.

I'd also love to see more CI job we can run in our public Jenkins as show
cases.

Somke tests
Integration tests
Puppet recipes
BigpetStore

On the other hand, there are stil lots of patch available Jira out there.
We should have 1.0 release soon and get to those nice feature onboard. :)
Building on conversations pre/during/post Apachecon and looking at the post
1.0 bigtop focus and efforts, want to lay out a few things, get peoples
comments.  Seems to be some consensus that the project can look towards
serving end application/data developers more going forward, while
continuing the tradition of the projects build/pkg/test/deploy roots.

I have spent the past couple months, and heavily the past 3 or so weeks,
talking to many different potential end users at meetups, conferences,
etc.., also having some great conversations with commercial open source
vendors that are interested in what a "future bigtop" can be and what it
could provide to users.

I believe we need to put some focused effort into few foundational things
to put the project in a position to move faster and attract a wider range
of users as well as new contributors.

-----------
CI "2.0"
-----------

Start of this is already underway based on the work roman started last year
and continuing effort with new setup and enhancement on bigtop AWS
infrastructure, Evans has been pushing this along into the 1.0 release.
Speed of getting new packages built and up to date needs to increase so
releases can happen at a regular clip.., even looking towards user friendly
"ad-hoc" bigtop builds where users could quickly choose the 2,3,4,etc
components they want and have a stack around that.

Related to this, hoping the group can come to some idea/agreement on some
semver style versioning for the project post 1.0.  I think this could set a
path forward for releases that can happen faster, while not holding up the
whole train if a single "smaller" component has a couple issues that
cant/wont be resolved by the main stakeholders or interested parties in
said component.  An example might be new pig or sqoop having issues.., the
1.2 release would still go out the door with 1.2.1 coming days/weeks later
once new pig or sqoop was fixed up.

Proper package repository hosting

I put together a little test setup based on the 0.8 assets, we can probably
build off of that with 1.0, working towards the CI automatically posting
nightly (or just-in-time) builds off latest so people can play around.
Debs/rpms seem should be the focal pt of output for the project assets,
everything else is additive and builds off of that (ie: user who says "I am
not a puppet shop so don’t care about the modules.., but do my own
automation and if you point me to some sane repositories I can do the rest
myself with couple decent getting started steps")

Greatly increasing the UX and getting started content

This is the big one.., new website, focused docs and getting started
examples for end users, other specific content for contributors.  I will be
starting to put some cycles into new website jira probably starting next
week, will try to scoot through it and start posting some working examples
for feedback once something basic is in place.  For those interested in
helping out on doc work and getting started content let me know.., looking
at subjects like:

   -Developer getting started
         -using the packages
         -using puppet modules and deployment options
         -deploying reference example stacks
         -setting up your own big data CI
         -etc

   -Contributing to Bigtop:
         -how to submit your first patch/pull-request
         -adding new component (step by step, canned learning component
example, etc)
         -adding tests to an existing component (steps, canned hello world
example test, etc)
         -writing your own test data generator
         -etc

Those are some thoughts and couple initial focal areas that are driving me
around bigtop participation

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
For as long as we support building components from GitHub repository by
SHA, we must support the local install steps in do-component-build scripts.
Otherwise the result cannot be transitively consistent.

We should not assume a Bigtop user will be building with a BOM full of
conveniently already released artifacts in public Maven repos (see above),
or even with direct access to public networks. It would be inconvenient but
I could see an extra 'getting started' step of setting up a local Nexus or
similar. However, when building from SHAs on a dev workstation the local
Maven cache seems actually the best option. Alternatively, we can declare
this use case is no longer supported. That would make me sad.

Would also be great if we can continue supporting Bigtop package builds on
build servers and developer workstations without requiring any specific
containerization technology (or any containerization at all). Giving people
an option to use Docker specific techniques is fine as long as it is
totally optional.

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.

Posted by na...@reactor8.com.

2015年6月19日 上午5:59於 "Olaf Flebbe" <of@oflebbe.de <ma...@oflebbe.de> >寫道:

Posted by Evans Ye <ev...@apache.org>.

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Olaf Flebbe <of...@oflebbe.de>.
Thanks Nate

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by jay vyas <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: Rebooting the conversation on the Future of bigtop: Abstracting the backplane ? Containers?

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.