Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2006/06/20 08:44:35 UTC

Re: [classlib]native codes layout question(was Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer)

On 20 June 2006 at 14:18, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems no one objects this proposal:), so I'm going to implement the
> JNI1.4 enhancement in nio module, i.e, provide patch to Harmony-578,
> Because this implementation requires some native codes, so I probably
> need to reintroduce hynio.dll(.so), but I have some questions.(Excuse
> me about my ignorance on the native layout evolution).
>
> At first, seems native codes will be separated into modules(I guess
> Oli is working on?), so should I assume my native codes will be
> directly put into nio modules, or still in native-src/win.IA32/nio
> directory? because I'm used to provide a shell to move/svn add new
> files in the patch, so it will be easier for me to know how others
> think about it.

If you aren't planning on waiting until Oliver has done at least some of
the moves, then assume the old/current locations of native-src/*/nio.
(I assume this will mostly be shared?)

If you are planning on waiting, then use Oliver's work as a template for
how the native build should proceed.

(Personally, I'm waiting before doing the awt/swing native source
integration.)

> And second, the native codes probably need portlib, so the portlib's
> header file must be accessible, say, portsock.h, but now it has been
> moved into luni/src/main/native/blabla, should I include one in my
> patch so that nio module can have a copy? or the header file itself
> should be put some other well known directory(deploy/build/include I
> guess)?

Yes.  Since this header forms part of the API it probably should be
moved to deploy/include at build time - like the other headers for the
classlib natives API.

No code should reference the native source of another module directly
only via the deploy tree.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [classlib]native codes layout question(was Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer)

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Paulex Yang wrote:
> Mark Hindess wrote:
<snip>
>> Yes.  Since this header forms part of the API it probably should be
>> moved to deploy/include at build time - like the other headers for the
>> classlib natives API.
>>
> I see, but seems not all header files in LUNI are copied into
> deploy/include now, for example, portsock.h. So is there any rules which
> one is copied and which one is not?

It should be all headers that are available externally to the module
(i.e. just not those that are local impl. functions) so I would have
expected portsock.h to be in there.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib]native codes layout question(was Re: [classlib][NIO|VMI]JNI 1.4 enhancement on ByteBuffer)

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Mark Hindess wrote:
> On 20 June 2006 at 14:18, Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Seems no one objects this proposal:), so I'm going to implement the
>> JNI1.4 enhancement in nio module, i.e, provide patch to Harmony-578,
>> Because this implementation requires some native codes, so I probably
>> need to reintroduce hynio.dll(.so), but I have some questions.(Excuse
>> me about my ignorance on the native layout evolution).
>>
>> At first, seems native codes will be separated into modules(I guess
>> Oli is working on?), so should I assume my native codes will be
>> directly put into nio modules, or still in native-src/win.IA32/nio
>> directory? because I'm used to provide a shell to move/svn add new
>> files in the patch, so it will be easier for me to know how others
>> think about it.
>>

> If you aren't planning on waiting until Oliver has done at least some of
> the moves, then assume the old/current locations of native-src/*/nio.
> (I assume this will mostly be shared?)
>
> If you are planning on waiting, then use Oliver's work as a template for
> how the native build should proceed.
>
> (Personally, I'm waiting before doing the awt/swing native source
> integration.)

I see, thank you for the explanation.

>> And second, the native codes probably need portlib, so the portlib's
>> header file must be accessible, say, portsock.h, but now it has been
>> moved into luni/src/main/native/blabla, should I include one in my
>> patch so that nio module can have a copy? or the header file itself
>> should be put some other well known directory(deploy/build/include I
>> guess)?
>>

> Yes.  Since this header forms part of the API it probably should be
> moved to deploy/include at build time - like the other headers for the
> classlib natives API.

I see, but seems not all header files in LUNI are copied into
deploy/include now, for example, portsock.h. So is there any rules which
one is copied and which one is not?
> No code should reference the native source of another module directly
> only via the deploy tree.

Agree.
> Regards,
>  Mark.