Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by Bodhayan Chakraborty <bo...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/19 00:07:07 UTC

Stop build definitions to execute in parallel

Hi,

I am using Continuum 1.4.0(Beta). I have got a project which has got
multiple build definitions. I am using distributed build agent groups and
each group has multiple agents. Now, my requirement is NOT to run multiple
build definitions simultaneously. Now, suppose if I run a build definition,
it is running at agent 1 of agent group A. If I execute another build
definition, it is going to agent 2 of agent group A. Since both agents are
sharing common workspace, one of the build is getting corrupted. I don't
want to use different workspaces for different agents. Is there any way I
can stop multiple build definitions to execute simultaneously? Let me know
if you need further clarification.

Thanks in advance.
Bodhayan.

Re: Stop build definitions to execute in parallel

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/07/2012, at 11:44 PM, Bodhayan Chakraborty wrote:

> Hi Brett,
>
> Thank you for your response. Do you think all the agents sharing a common
> workspace is unusual? If I share a common workspace among agents, that
> would reduce storage usage. Also, the svn update would get only those files
> which are checked in between two builds irrespective of in which agent the
> build is running.

I've done this before, but its unusual to also allow multiple builds of the same project to operate concurrently in this situation. Usually you would schedule the definitions so that they don't conflict. Continuum doesn't have any way to know that the separate agents have the same workspace and can't operate concurrently.

> Now, if I create a separate group for the the other build definition and
> execute the two build definition at the same time, still the two builds are
> executing in parallel. So, that does not help. Any other idea?

I was suggesting that you separate the workspace of the other pool, which is just used for the concurrent builds, but most jobs that can run in parallel go to the main agent pool with the same workspace.

- Brett

Re: Stop build definitions to execute in parallel

Posted by Bodhayan Chakraborty <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Brett,

Thank you for your response. Do you think all the agents sharing a common
workspace is unusual? If I share a common workspace among agents, that
would reduce storage usage. Also, the svn update would get only those files
which are checked in between two builds irrespective of in which agent the
build is running.

Now, if I create a separate group for the the other build definition and
execute the two build definition at the same time, still the two builds are
executing in parallel. So, that does not help. Any other idea?

Thanks,
Bodhayan.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.