Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com> on 2009/01/04 23:02:02 UTC

Was: Closed: (JSPWIKI-396) UTF-8 characters in wiki pages incorrectly rendered if served by Weblogic

Harry,

Are you closing known bugs simply because they haven't been resolved?

I'm confused. Shouldn't they remain open as bugs?

Murray

Harry Metske (JIRA) wrote:
>      [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSPWIKI-396?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel ]
>
> Harry Metske closed JSPWIKI-396.
> --------------------------------
>
>     Resolution: Invalid
>
> no follow-up
> re-open if any new insights pop-up
>
>> UTF-8 characters in wiki pages incorrectly rendered if served by Weblogic
>>
>>                 Key: JSPWIKI-396
>>         Attachments: .jpg, .jpg, screenshot-1.jpg
>>

>> The Germain Main.txt starts with Herzlichen Glückwunsch.
>> If the page is served by Weblogic Server, the umlaut is rendered with FFC3 and FFBC in Boxes, both with Firefox and IE. Served by Geronimo, it's fine.
>> Herzlichen Glᅢᄐckwunsch
>> Firefox page info says, page encoding is UTF-8.

Murray Altheim <murray08 at altheim dot com>                       ===  = =

                                       -- The Blue Cliff Record

Re: Was: Closed: (JSPWIKI-396) UTF-8 characters in wiki pages incorrectly rendered if served by Weblogic

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
I think some bugs can be closed down if there's no response from the
original submitter for further info.  This is a fairly common
practice and makes sure bugs don't linger for years in the database,
and keeps the amount of open bugs to a manageable level.  It's not
uncommon for someone to file a bug, then later realize that it was a
config problem, but they never bother to come back and mark the issue
fixed or even send a comment that it's ok.

However, I think it might be a good idea to add a "Proposed to close
until further info is received by XX.XX.XXXX" and give everybody say,
four weeks time to comment before calling it closed.  I think from
28.12 to 4.1 is not a lot of time, especially since the holidays are
still ongoing for some.

/Janne

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <Ja...@ecyrd.com>.
> There was a unanswered question from Jürgen since early October,
> and another
> one from me a week ago.

I think you should probably give it more than a week, especially
during holidays.  I think four weeks is a minimum, and I'd prefer
three months. That should give ample time for anyone to say anything.

You could write "will be closed on 1.4.2009 unless further comments
from submitter."

Also, some bugs probably need to stay open for quite a while,
otherwise we will see reposts of the same bug.

/Janne

Re: Was: Closed: (JSPWIKI-396) UTF-8 characters in wiki pages incorrectly rendered if served by Weblogic

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
No, only if there isn't any progress for months, and it looks like nobody is
responding.
There was a unanswered question from Jürgen since early October, and another
one from me a week ago.
Now I can keep asking if there is progress off course, but I use another
approach.
I don't like to see an endless list of open bugs that nobody is working on
for years, that's all.
But as mentioned in the comment, feel free to re-open, if necessary

best regards,
Harry