Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/01/17 05:27:30 UTC

R3.1M1RC1 - the good,the bad, and the ugly

The good:

   Source and binaries for a "Release 3.1, Milestone 1, Release Candidate
   1" have been posted to
   http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/tomcat/release/v3.1_m1_rc1/.  Despite
   the amount of quasi-revolutionary work, the tests look to be in
   amazingly good shape.

   Everything was done from a fresh and complete checkout of everything.
   My goal was to make the zips and tars match exactly, so what I settled
   on was checking out the source on Windows, transporting the results to
   Linux, removing the carriage returns from env.*, *.sh, and
   jakarta-tomcat/src/native/apache/jserv/*.c files, and then building
   everything using the IBM JDK 1.1.8 and producing the binaries on Linux.
   I think that the results should be satisfactory everywhere - but don't
   hesitate to yell if you see problems.

The bad:

   There remain some failures in the tests.  See below for details.

   I'm only prepared at the moment to build binaries on Intel platforms.
   The group I was just with had a Solaris, HPUX, AIX, and OS/390 machine.
   Something to look into next time.  Meanwhile, contributions of jserv
   binaries for other platforms are welcome.

   I need to track down everywhere version 3.0 is listed in the source and
   update it.

   I still need to go back and document the procedures, particularly while
   they are fresh in my head.

The ugly:

   This release nearly wasn't for several reasons, not the least of which
   being the fact that I have yet to figure out how to either ftp into
   locus from my machine, or ftp from my machine into my machine (using an
   ISP, but with a dynamic IP address).  I finally got the data there

   I also hadn't expected to be downloading and compiling Apache for Win32,
   and figuring out how to build

   ...and there were a number of false starts and dead ends on my part that
   were too numerous to mention.  And everything was done on via a modem
   rated at 56K, but effectively limited to 26400 given my phone service.
   (Uploads and downloads of everything totaled several hours.)

- Sam Ruby

Test summary:

The tomcat tests pass on Win32 (JDK1.1.8 and JDK 1.2.2), but the following
fail on Linux for me:

   FAIL tests.request.Get (Method GET Test) :
           Test 1 : /request/uri/does/not/exist : 0.9 : 404
           Test 11 : /index.ht ml : 1.0 : : 400
           Test 12 : /index.ht ml : 1.0 : : 400
   FAIL tests.request.Post (Method POST Test) :
           Test 18 : http://www.javasoft.com/index.html : 1.0 : 400

   The final failure seems to imply that a connection to the internet is
   required to run the test, in which case, it is a false failure for me as
   my Linux box does not happen to be connected at this time.

The jsp tests pass for me with the Sun JDK 1.2 on Windows or with the IBM
JDK 1.1.8 on Linux.

   Note: these tests were passing for me within the last week.

   Now I get failures on the following failures on JDK 1.1.8 on Windows:

     positiveContenttype                 : FAIL -
     positiveSetPropSingleQuotes         : FAIL -
     positiveSessionDefault              : FAIL - FAIL
     positiveErrorPage                   : FAIL -
     positiveBuffAutoflush               : FAIL - FAIL
     positiveScriptletMultiline2         : FAIL -
     implicitImportServlet               : FAIL -
     negativeSetPropNotProperty          : FAIL - CODE_MISMATCH 500/404
     negativeGetPropNotProperty          : FAIL - CODE_MISMATCH 500/404

   Win the Sun JDK 1.2 on Linux, things look good up to postiveGetVarName,
   at which point I get

     method unknown (eip = 3bc30833)
     SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
         si_signo [11]: SIGSEGV   11*  segmentation violation
         si_errno [0]: Success
         si_code [0]: SI_USER [pid: 0, uid: 0]
             stackpointer=0x445e7400

     at which point, all other tests fail to connect.

The servlet tests fail on all combinations of platforms and JDKs:

   addHeaderTest1                      : FAIL -
   "addHeader:Does addHeaderTest cr... : FAIL -
   "Negative Test for getContext"      : FAIL -

Re: R3.1M1RC1 - the good,the bad, and the ugly

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 1/17/00 7:08 AM, Jesper Jørgensen <je...@caput.com> wrote:

> ssh2 comes with a sftp program.
>
> - Jesper

Yea, unfortunately, brian won't install it cause it has licensing issues
that he doesn't agree with. I understand his point though.

-jon

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>

Re: R3.1M1RC1 - the good,the bad, and the ugly

Posted by Jesper Jørgensen <je...@caput.com>.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
jon * wrote:

> on 1/16/00 8:27 PM, rubys@us.ibm.com <ru...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
>
> > ftp into
> > locus from my machine, or ftp from my machine into my machine (using an
> > ISP, but with a dynamic IP address).
>
> You can't ftp to locus, but you can use scp. man scp for more information.
>
> It would be *so cool* if someone built a ftp style interface on top of scp.
> ;-)

I've completely forgotten where or when, but I'm sure I remember someone
recently mentioning exactly such a thing. OpenSSH maybe?

Or perhaps I dreamt it?

Cheers,

Ben.

http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: R3.1M1RC1 - the good,the bad, and the ugly

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.