Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Larry Isaacs <La...@sas.com> on 2001/07/22 17:54:19 UTC

[ANNOUNCEMENT] Tomcat 3.3 Beta 1

The first beta release of Tomcat 3.3 is available for download
and testing.  As a Tomcat 3.x release, it remains an implementation
of the Servlet 2.2 and JSP 1.1 specifications.

The Beta 1 release offers bug fixes over Milestone 4, including a
fix for a recent security vulnerability.  This version has the
final set of features expected for Tomcat 3.3.  Bug fixes and
documentation updates will be the focus for the remaining releases.
Jasper34, that was available in Milestone 4 for testing and
experimentation, has been removed.

Though the issues with the "test" web applications (test.war,
watchdog-jsp.war, and watchdog-servlet.war) and Tag pooling
were fixed at one point, some new issues have appeared.  In this
release, Tag pooling should be disabled when running the tests.

Again, refer to the "readme" for the most current information
concerning Tomcat 3.3.  Unfortunately, the rest of the documentation
is still out of date.

If you did not try the earlier Milestone releases, the following
additional information may help you make full use of the Beta 1
release:

1) The binary distribution has source for the connectors, but not for
   the Tomcat container.  The source from the full jakarta-tomcat CVS
   tree is available separately in the "v3.3-b1/src" directory.

2) The new class loader scheme in this release ignores your CLASSPATH
   setting. Instead, you may add needed jars to Tomcat's "lib/apps",
   "lib/common", and "lib/container" directories. See the "readme" file
   in Tomcat's "doc" directory for details.
   Also supported are two System properties:
       org.apache.tomcat.apps.classpath
       org.apache.tomcat.common.classpath
   which add their listed classes and jars to the jars in "lib/apps"
   and "lib/common", respectively.

3) The "sanity-test" is not part of the binary distribution like it was
   with Tomcat 3.2.  However, it is available in "War" form (test.war),
   along with the Watchdog JSP (watchdog-jsp.war) and servlet tests
   (watchdog-servlet.war).  These are found in the "v3.3-b1/apps"
   directory.  Place these War files in Tomcat's "webapps" directory
   before starting Tomcat. To simplify testing, these tests can be run
   from the Admin web application. See the "readme" file in Tomcat's
   "doc" directory for details.

Please download this release and give it a try in your environment.  The
source, rpms, and binaries may be found at:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-tomcat/release/v3.3-b1

There are PGP signature files available in this release as well.

To log problems or bugs, as well as submit patches, please refer to:

    http://jakarta.apache.org/site/bugs.html

When logging bugs to Bugzilla, please specify the Program as "Tomcat 3"
and the Version as "3.3 Beta 1". Also, supplying a test case will
greatly improve our ability to address the problem.  Please do so if at
all possible.

Thanks,
Larry Isaacs

Re: Using Jikes for JSPs with Tomcat 4.0

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>.
Tomcat 4 requires that the web.xml be valid, Tomcat 3.2 did not.
Check your web.xml file to make sure it is valid by the DTD.

Glenn