Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Thielen <da...@windward.net> on 2003/03/23 06:49:12 UTC

Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

thanks - dave

Re: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

Posted by David Thielen <da...@windward.net>.
thanks - dave

Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

Posted by David Thielen <da...@windward.net>.

thanks - dave

Re: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

Posted by "Jess M. Holle" <je...@ptc.com>.

>BTW - in the web.xml files that I write I usually remove the declaration on
>the top ( to make sure the validation doesn't happen ).

I can't recall which servlet engine I saw this in, but I have seen at
least one servlet engine that rejected web.xml unless it contained the
expected DTD declaration.

[Personally I found that extraordinarily obnoxious -- but that's what
you get for using a commercial servlet engine -- which it was.]

--
Jess Holle

Re: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.
Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:

>>>Crimson is a very good parser, and it still faster that Xerces in some
>>>case. The only reason I see for bundling xerces is for when we turn on
>>>validation & the web.xml used a schema for validation.
>>>

>>So why not making the "web.xml validator" a separate download ? If
>>people want to turn on validation, they'll need to get the validator -
>>which will include xerces and some simple script to do the validation.
>>

> That means removing DTD validation from the current implementation? For
> me, seems a feature regression. If we stop validating, we should have a
> very good documentation  in other to avoid confusion and hours or
> debugging.

No, I'm not sugesting to remove DTD validation.

Just that it hurts people - and without too much gain.

But it's actually the reverse - the DTD validation is the one that causes
confusion and hours of debugging ( plus slow startup time ). Good software
should be tolerant with the user input.

A tool that generates the web.xml should be strict and make sure the output
is valid. A user who wants to be sure the webapp it ships is correct should
validate the web.xml ( against DTD or schema ). A deploy tool could also
validate web.xml and the tlds.

It is too late to change the behavior for DTD ( for backward compat, etc ),
but at least schema validation can be avoided.

BTW - in the web.xml files that I write I usually remove the declaration on
the top ( to make sure the validation doesn't happen ).

Costin

Re: Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Costin Manolache wrote:

>Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>

>>>At least in tomcat5 I never use xerces - only the bundled parser, and so
>>>far I've seen no problems.
>>>

>>Crimson is a very good parser, and it still faster that Xerces in some
>>case. The only reason I see for bundling xerces is for when we turn on
>>validation & the web.xml used a schema for validation.
>>

>So why not making the "web.xml validator" a separate download ? If
>people want to turn on validation, they'll need to get the validator - which
>will include xerces and some simple script to do the validation.

That means removing DTD validation from the current implementation? For
me, seems a feature regression. If we stop validating, we should have a
very good documentation  in other to avoid confusion and hours or debugging.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Costin Manolache wrote:

>Jean-Francois Arcand wrote:
>

>>Because the xerces version bundled with 1.4 is an older one, doesn't
>>support XML schema properly, and contains bugs (and is not as performant
>>as the 2.x version)
>>

>Isn't Crimson in JDK1.4 ? I remember we decided to disable XML schema
>validation.

Crimson & Xerces are available. Crimson is the default one. Yes
validation is turned off by default.

>At least in tomcat5 I never use xerces - only the bundled parser, and so
>far I've seen no problems.

Crimson is a very good parser, and it still faster that Xerces in some
case. The only reason I see for bundling xerces is for when we turn on
validation & the web.xml used a schema for validation.

>XML schema validation is just bad - if the spec would _require_ the
>container to validate ( and I hope it won't ) - then we can provide a
>separate "validator" that will include xerces and some script that users
>can run.

 From what I know, that will not happen for the 2.4 timeframe.

-- Jeanfrancois

Posted by Costin Manolache <cm...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jean-Francois Arcand <jf...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Thielen <da...@thielen.com>.

thanks - dave

Why does Tomcat use xerces under java 1.4 instead of the internal jvm classes?

Posted by David Thielen <da...@windward.net>.

thanks - dave