Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com> on 2012/07/31 22:11:19 UTC

Install location of OFBiz: still getting started ...

When I install anything, I usually use sudo, at least in the final stages,
so that the end product can be installed in the right places (/etc, or /var
or /usr/local as appropriate for whatever I am building).  And usually, when
I am building from source, only the binary products get moved to the final
destination (and in fact the build directory tree is in a different location
from the source directory tree), with make install moving the binaries
(libraries and executables) to the appropriate places and then cleaning out
intermediate build products and the source back in the original archive
(actually, I would edit the makefile to ensure the last two steps, but then
I can because I know how and because it is open source).

On the machines on which I installed OFBiz, I had already installed the full
LAMP stack, including the Perl, Java and C++ connectors, and I did so using
YaST.

But, at the end of the installation and setup/startup of OFBiz, I find that
nothing has gone into the usual places, but it is all in root.  Obviously we
don't want it there, and we want a user specific to OFBiz that has only the
rights of a mere mortal rather than those of root.  I saw the page about
running OFBiz as a server, and that talked about creating it's own user, but
there was nothing about where the source and build products ought to be
placed.

Now, which I can do marvelous things using makefiles (including unit and
integration testing), I do not know ant at all, other than that it exists.
Thus, I do not know how to fix this.  And, an ancillary question: Is there
in the OFBiz distro that one gets as trunk using svn, the equivalent of my
favourite and nearly ubiquitous makefile target: vis. 'check'.  I always run
'make check' when the developers of a product (usually C++ libraries I use
in my own development work) have been wise enough and considerate enough to
provide that target.  If they haven't, then my number one task after
building the library is to begin building a proper test suite (but it is
rare that I have to resort to that).

One last question about where things ought to go: As I had mentioned, I
already had he full LAMP stack, along with the Perl, C++ and Java
connectors, installed in their default places using YaST.  It isn't clear
how to proceed, then, in setting up OFBiz to use MySQL.  Yes, I saw the
instructions to copy the java connector into the OFBiz directory tree, but
the question is why, and why can it not build using the instance of the
connector in the default location for it in a system that already has it
installed?

Thanks for your time.

Cheers

Ted

Re: Install location of OFBiz: still getting started ...

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
Everything is there, including the log files, source, java classes (i.e.
"binaries") and the multitude of configuration files (*.properties) and
other data files (*.xml).  It is quite a beast.

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Byers <r....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.