Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Octavian Rasnita <or...@fcc.ro> on 2005/04/06 18:52:02 UTC

Problem installing mod_perl (because of CGI?)

Hi,

Here is the error I get after "make test" phase of mod_perl installation:

[warning] setting ulimit to allow core files
ulimit -c unlimited; /usr/local/bin/perl
/home/teddy/mod_perl/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4
APACHE_TEST_GROUP= APACHE_TEST_HTTPD= APACHE_TEST_PORT= APACHE_TEST_USER=
APACHE
/usr/local/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib \
t/TEST -bugreport -verbose=0
[warning] setting ulimit to allow core files
ulimit -c unlimited; /usr/local/bin/perl
/home/teddy/mod_perl/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4
/usr/local/site/bin/httpd  -d /home/teddy/mod_perl/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t -f
/home
onf -D APACHE2 -D PERL_USEITHREADS
using Apache/2.0.53 (prefork MPM)
waiting 120 seconds for server to start: .Syntax error on line 861 of
/home/tedd
Invalid command 'SetEnv', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by a module not
include
[  error]
server has died with status 255 (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start the
serv
make: *** [run_tests] Error 143
[teddy@dual mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4]$

Well, the error "Invalid command 'SetEnv', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by
a module not included" makes me think that the problem is that Apache
doesn't have the module CGI installed.
(I know that Apache doesn't have the module CGI installed because I have
tried ./httpd -l and mod_cgi.c doesn't appear in that list of compiled
modules and I cannot find that module in the "modules" directory).

Is it possible to install mod_perl if mod_cgi is not installed?

If yes, why do I get that error?
If it is not possible, please tell me if there is a way of installing the
CGI module without re-installing Apache.

I have 2 Apache servers installed on the same computer, and the server I
want to install mod_perl for, is Apache 2.0.53.

Thank you much.

Teddy

Re: Problem installing mod_perl (because of CGI?)

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> I've just copied the result of the command from the screen, but the full
> path is:
> /home/teddy/t/conf/httpd.conf
>
> I've checked that line (861) and I have seen just a common SetEnv, so
> mod_env might be missing.

ok, but whether mod_env is present or not isn't the point - that file is
being pulled in and it shouldn't be.

is there an Include directive in the httpd.conf pointed to by
/usr/local/site/bin/httpd?

  $ /usr/local/site/bin/httpd -V | grep HTTPD_ROOT

if so, comment it (the Include directive) out and run

  $ t/TEST

again.  but that file being used at all is the troublesome part, not mod_env
or mod_cgi or CGI.pm - the mod_perl test suite configuration itself is
insulated against these kinds of requirements, so whether a non-httpd_core.c
module is present or not should have no effect.

--Geoff

Re: Problem installing mod_perl (because of CGI?)

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@fcc.ro>.
Well, this is my problem. I was not the person that has installed that
server.
I just want to add mod_perl to it.

But checking with httpd -l  I have seen that mod_env and mod_setenv are
compiled in modules...

Thanks.

Teddy

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@fcc.ro>.
From: "Geoffrey Young" <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>
> /usr/local/site/bin/httpd  -d /home/teddy/mod_perl/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t -f
> /home
> onf -D APACHE2 -D PERL_USEITHREADS
> using Apache/2.0.53 (prefork MPM)
> waiting 120 seconds for server to start: .Syntax error on line 861 of
> /home/tedd
> Invalid command 'SetEnv'

um... what's in /home/tedd around 861?  that's an odd file to be pulling in.

I've just copied the result of the command from the screen, but the full
path is:
/home/teddy/t/conf/httpd.conf

I've checked that line (861) and I have seen just a common SetEnv, so
mod_env might be missing.

Can I include somehow mod_env in the web server in order to be able to
install mod_perl?

Thank you.

Alias is not being recognized undet the Directory Directive

Posted by raja agireddy <ta...@gmail.com>.
I have installed modperl 2.0,  Apache 2.0 and AuthenSmb. Alias is not
being recognized under the "Directory" directive in the httpd.conf
file. The same alis works for "Location" directive. The work around I
am using is giving the full path of the directory and it works. Please
let me know if you have any suggestions or reason for this behaviour.
Under the Directory directive I am using PerlAuthenHandler.

Following is the usage

> <Directory /yeyo>
>     AuthName "ISO Authentication"
>     AuthType Basic
>     PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthenSmb
>     PerlSetVar myPDC acdc01
>     PerlSetVar myBDC acdc02
>     PerlSetVar myDOMAIN xxx.com
>     Require valid-user
>     Options FollowSymLinks
> </Directory>
>
> Where as when I use the following the authentication box pops up.
> <Location /yeyo>
>     AuthName "ISO Authentication"
>     AuthType Basic
>     PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthenSmb
>     PerlSetVar myPDC acdc01
>     PerlSetVar myBDC acdc02
>     PerlSetVar myDOMAIN xxx.com
>     Require valid-user
>     Options FollowSymLinks
> </Location>

Regards,
Raja

Re: Problem installing mod_perl (because of CGI?)

Posted by Octavian Rasnita <or...@fcc.ro>.
Yes I am using Perl 5.8.6.

Thanks.

Teddy

Posted by "Philip M. Gollucci" <pg...@p6m7g8.com>.

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.
> /usr/local/site/bin/httpd  -d /home/teddy/mod_perl/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t -f
> /home
> onf -D APACHE2 -D PERL_USEITHREADS
> using Apache/2.0.53 (prefork MPM)
> waiting 120 seconds for server to start: .Syntax error on line 861 of
> /home/tedd
> Invalid command 'SetEnv'

um... what's in /home/tedd around 861?  that's an odd file to be pulling in.

> Well, the error "Invalid command 'SetEnv', perhaps mis-spelled or defined by
> a module not included" makes me think that the problem is that Apache
> doesn't have the module CGI installed.

no, it's from mod_env:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_env.html#setenv

> (I know that Apache doesn't have the module CGI installed because I have
> tried ./httpd -l

make sure that's

  $ /usr/local/site/bin/httpd -l

since, from the above, that's the httpd you seem to be building against.

> and mod_cgi.c doesn't appear in that list of compiled
> modules and I cannot find that module in the "modules" directory).
>
> Is it possible to install mod_perl if mod_cgi is not installed?

yes.  and mod_env too :)

> If yes, why do I get that error?

that's the question.  the only call to SetEnv in mod_perl seems to be

  <IfModule mod_env.c>
      SetEnv TMPDIR @t_logs@
  </IfModule>

which would preclude the error you see.  unless mod_env.c isn't really
present but the test suite thinks it is.

> If it is not possible, please tell me if there is a way of installing the
> CGI module without re-installing Apache.
>
> I have 2 Apache servers installed on the same computer, and the server I
> want to install mod_perl for, is Apache 2.0.53.

make sure you 'make realclean' before you start the next build so that
configuration stuff doesn't get pulled over between builds.  you might also
want to

  $ t/TEST -clean
  $ rm -rf ~/.apache-test

before each build just to make sure that no test config foo gets carried over.

HTH

--Geoff