Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Igal Sapir <is...@apache.org> on 2018/05/25 22:21:30 UTC

SVN on Windows and new line characters

Hello,

Commit r1832279 created a much larger diff than I expected.

I am using TortoiseSVN on Windows and it looks like it recorded the
NEW_LINE character changes.

Does anyone know if there are settings to change that?  Or can recommend a
different SVN client?

Another thing is that I couldn't really see the diff locally until I
committed the changes.  In git I can preview the changes with is very
helpful.  I will try to use git-svn but If anyone has any tips I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Igal

Re: SVN on Windows and new line characters

Posted by Konstantin Kolinko <kn...@gmail.com>.
> Hello,
>
> Commit r1832279 created a much larger diff than I expected.
>
> I am using TortoiseSVN on Windows and it looks like it recorded the
> NEW_LINE character changes.

No, it did not.

Those files have property svn:eol-style=native, they will be committed
with correct line ends.

You can see the diff at

I see that trailing whitespace was removed from some empty lines in *.html file.
That could be done by some tool (e.g. viewing and saving the file).
Subversion does not do that.

> Does anyone know if there are settings to change that?  Or can recommend a
> different SVN client?
>
> Another thing is that I couldn't really see the diff locally until I
> committed the changes.  In git I can preview the changes with is very
> helpful.  I will try to use git-svn but If anyone has any tips I would
> greatly appreciate it.

1. Docs:
https://tortoisesvn.net/support.html

Select one or several files in commit dialog, or in "Check for
modifications" dialog,
open context menu, you can see it in an image here:

https://tortoisesvn.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/tsvn-dug-commit.html#tsvn-dug-commit-basics

You need the "Show differences as unified diff" command.

2. When you install Tortoise SVN you can install command-line tools as
well (see components selection page in installer) .

Then you can run "svn diff", "svn diff --git"  etc.

To work with command line, I usually use Far Manager, see link here:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tools.html

Subversion manual is here:
http://subversion.apache.org/docs/
-> svnbook -> English -> nightly (1.8)

"svn help commandname" prints a short reference.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko