Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Peter Wolf <op...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/10 18:03:40 UTC

Problem Stopping 0.90.5 Standalone

Hello all,

I am having trouble starting and stopping Standalone HBase.

I successfully start Standalone, or at least there is no error message

However, when I try to use the shell, I get this

    hbase(main):001:0> list
    TABLE

    ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException: HBase
    is able to connect to ZooKeeper but the connection closes
    immediately. This could be a sign that the server has too many
    connections (30 is the default). Consider inspecting your ZK server
    logs for that error and then make sure you are reusing
    HBaseConfiguration as often as you can. See HTable's javadoc for
    more information.

And when I try to stop and restart, I get an infinite loop

    Hemiola:~ peter$ dev/hbase-0.90.5/bin/stop-hbase.sh
    stopping
    hbase..................................................................

    Hemiola:~ peter$ dev/hbase-0.90.5/bin/start-hbase.sh
    master running as process 699. Stop it first.

I tried killing the process manually, and I also blew away my hbase
directory, but it after re-starting the problem is the same.

Can anyone recommend another way to stop, refresh, and restart
Standalone?  I found this JIRA ticket.  Is this the same issue?  Is
there a workaround?

Thanks Peter

Re: Problem Stopping 0.90.5 Standalone (2)

Posted by Peter Wolf <op...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps not related, but I followed the "Run the
'${HBASE_HOME}/bin/hbase migrate' script" suggestion and...

Hemiola:logs peter$ ../bin/hbase migrate
org/apache/hadoop/hbase/util/Migrate

Posted by Peter Wolf <op...@gmail.com>.

Re: Problem Stopping 0.90.5 Standalone -Ah ha!

Posted by Peter Wolf <op...@gmail.com>.
Fixed it.  I manually killed the process, removed the HBase files *AND*
the directory, and restarted.

I am guessing that the HBase directory in Standalone contains some sort
of hidden file or lock, and it got stuck.

Posted by Doug Meil <do...@explorysmedical.com>.
Yep.  I got it.

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Posted by Peter Wolf <op...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tom,

I am running on a Mac (Lion).  My /etc/hosts is below.  Would the last 2
lines confuse Standalone HBase?

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1    localhost local.babelcentral.com

255.255.255.255    broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0    localhost

Posted by Tom <fi...@gmail.com>.