Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/10 17:58:13 UTC

SproutCore as CouchApp

Hi,
I would like to know if it is possible (even just in theory at this point in
time) to deploy SproutCore application as CouchApp.
>From what I've understand SproutCore are static content once they are build
and to deploy them on web-server like apache you just copy the files to the
server.
CouchApp are also static files so it should be possible.

SproutCore has all the great controls, MVC and DataStore that are missing
(in my view) from CouchApp today.
Using SproutCore together with CouchApp and CouchDB can be great solution.

Thank you,
Ido

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
GOOD NEWS.
I'm happy to say that I've managed to deploy SproutCore app as CouchApp.
Although it is only the generated application (Welcome to SproutCore! app)
but SproutCore app non the less.
Those are the steps I use to do it:

1. use sc-init scapp
2. build the app using sc-build scapp -rc (this will build the app in
tmp/build/static).
3. use couchapp generate cdbapp
4. copy tmp/build/static into cdbapp/_attachments
5. open both index.html and javascript.js in /static/scapp/en/ABCD-EFG/ and
add /cdbapp/_design/cdbapp/ before every /static (this direct SC to load
resources from our CouchDB and not from root of our server).
6. push the application to CouchDB.

I have post question in the SproutCore google group to ask how to change the
build script to put the full path in.
http://groups.google.com/group/sproutcore/browse_thread/thread/f83fb94f9c8f8370

This is exciting, hopefully it will be more common way of work soon.

Ido

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I plan on deploy my application on either CouchOne or CloudAnt so the first
> option is not available there (to my understanding).
> The second one seem to be possible. I'll try it and let you know.
>
> What do you think in general about the idea of using SproutCore as front-end
> and CouchDB as backend?
> It will be hard to recreate all controls in evently, does it?
>
> Ido
rewrite is available on both. But anyway i've most of teh sproutcore
extension running . Should be available next week on my repo. Size
isn't a problem, since it's saved as attachments then cached.

Couchapp script take care of not sending the attachments twice if they
didn't change, so the first push may be big but other aren't. If you
want you can also build a sproutcore doc containing all attachments
and reuse it in your other apps.

- benoit

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Wednesday, September 15, 2010, Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Keep us posted on how this works for you. I would love to see a blog
> post about the end result and what it took to make it happen.
>
> I'm very intrigued by the idea of having a full javascript application
> stack. CouchDB, Node.js and jQuery take you a long way, but its still
> missing a solid javascript UI framework to finish off the stack, which
> is where something like sproutcore would be great. I'm also especially
> interested in sproutcore with today's news that Yehuda Katz and Carl
> Lerche both left engine yard to go work on sproutcore. Very excited to
> see what happens.

yup indeed and he said it will be more opensource which is really good.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Russell Branca <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
It does sound like putting it into _attachments it the way.
But I've try it and couchapp push again seem to be stuck. It does not print
any warning message but does not upload any design document either.

I'll try it some more and publish the URL.

Thank you,
Ido

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com>.
Thank you all.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by James Hayton <th...@purplebulldog.com>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@apache.org>.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Thomas Rampelberg <py...@gmail.com>.
Should actually be really easy, couchapp makes working with stuff like
that ridiculously simple. Just setup a couchapp and put the SproutCore
files in and you should be good to go.

Re: SproutCore as CouchApp

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
On Friday, September 10, 2010, Ido Ran <id...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to know if it is possible (even just in theory at this point in
> time) to deploy SproutCore application as CouchApp.
> From what I've understand SproutCore are static content once they are build
> and to deploy them on web-server like apache you just copy the files to the
> server.
> CouchApp are also static files so it should be possible.
>
> SproutCore has all the great controls, MVC and DataStore that are missing
> (in my view) from CouchApp today.
> Using SproutCore together with CouchApp and CouchDB can be great solution.
>
> Thank you,
> Ido

i'm thinking to provide a couchapp extension for it, so It will ease
the deployement. The hard part in it is the write of a datasource
connector for couchdb in sproutcore. There isn't one by default. I
would bee interrested by any difficulties you went in deploying it on
couchdb right now that could help :)

-benoit