Posted to users@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2015/04/01 16:17:08 UTC

NT issues (was: Re: tdbloader2 issues)

Thanks for that.
JENA-911 created.

Each of the large public dumps has had quality issues.  I'm sure
wikidata will fix their process if someone helps them.  (Freebase did.)

I understand it's frustrating but fixing it in the parser/loader is not
a real fix, only a limited workaround, because that data can be passed
on to with systems which can't cope.  That's what standards are for!!

(anyone know who is involved?)

The RDF 1.1 took some time to look at orignal-NT  - the <>-grammar rule
allows junk IRIs and, if you assume some IRI parsing (java.net.URI is
not bad) then even things like \n (which was an NL not the characters
"\" and "n" as the widedata people are using it) are not getting
through.  The original NT grammar was specific for test cases and is
open and loose by design.

Please do feed back to wikidata and we can hope it gets fixed at source.

(Ditto DBpedia for that matter)

	Andy

Related: JENA-864

NFC and NFCK are two normalization requirements (warnings, not errors)
but they seem to be more of a hinderance than a help so I'm suggesting
removing the checking.  The IRIs are legal even if no NFC - just not in
the preferred by W3C form.

Re: NT issues (was: Re: tdbloader2 issues)

Posted by james anderson <ja...@dydra.com>.
good afternoon;

On 2015-04-01, at 16:17, Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> wrote:

> Thanks for that.
> JENA-911 created.
>
> Each of the large public dumps has had quality issues.  I'm sure wikidata will fix their process if someone helps them.  (Freebase did.)
>
> I understand it's frustrating but fixing it in the parser/loader is not a real fix, only a limited workaround, because that data can be passed on to with systems which can't cope.  That's what standards are for!!
>

> (anyone know who is involved?)

for wikidata, our feedback led to #133 (https://github.com/Wikidata/Wikidata-Toolkit/issues/133).
we had attempted to load their core dataset in the hope of working with their temporal data, and with a thought to hosting the full dataset, but the invalid iri terms have slowed that endeavour down.

> The RDF 1.1 took some time to look at orignal-NT  - the <>-grammar rule allows junk IRIs and, if you assume some IRI parsing (java.net.URI is not bad) then even things like \n (which was an NL not the characters "\" and "n" as the widedata people are using it) are not getting through.  The original NT grammar was specific for test cases and is open and loose by design.
>
> Please do feed back to wikidata and we can hope it gets fixed at source.

see above.

> (Ditto DBpedia for that matter)
>
> 	Andy
>
> Related: JENA-864
>
> NFC and NFCK are two normalization requirements (warnings, not errors) but they seem to be more of a hinderance than a help so I'm suggesting removing the checking.  The IRIs are legal even if no NFC - just not in the preferred by W3C form.
>
> On 01/04/15 14:11, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
>>
>> Hello Andy,
>>
>> [tdbloader2 disk access pattern]
>>> Lots of unique nodes can slow things down because of all the node writing.
>>
>> And there is no way to convert this algorithm to sequential access?
>>
>> [tdbloader2 parser]
>>>
>>> Could you provide a set of data with one feature per NTriple line,marking in
>>> a comment what you expect, and I'll check each one and add them to the test
>>> suite.
>>
>> See attachment. I would consider all triples in it illegal according to the
>> n triples spec.
>>
>> If I allow these characters that RFC 1738 calls "unsafe", why then not allow
>> CR, LF and TAB? And why then allow \\ but not \", which seems to be sanctioned
>> by older versions of the spec:
>>
>>  http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/RDFCore/ntriples/#character
>>
>> I found 752 triples with \" IRIs in the Wikidata dump and 94 triples with \n
>> IRIs, e.G.:
>>
>> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/P1348v> <http://www.algaebase.org/search/species/detail/?species_id=26717\n> .
>> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/Q181274S0B6CB54F-C792-4A12-B20E-A165B91BB46D> <http://www.wikidata.org/entity/P18v> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:George_\"Corpsegrinder\"_Fisher_of_Cannibal_Corpse.jpg> .
>>
>> This trial and error cleaning of data dumps with self made scripts and days
>> between each try is very straining and probably a big deterrent for newcomers.
>> I had it with DBpedia and now I have it with Wikidata all over again (with
>> new syntax problems).
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Michael Brunnbauer

---
james anderson | james@dydra.com | http://dydra.com

Re: NT issues (was: Re: tdbloader2 issues)

Posted by james anderson <ja...@dydra.com>.
good afternoon;

On 2015-04-01, at 16:30, Michael Brunnbauer <br...@netestate.de> wrote:

> Hello Andy,
>
> it would just be great to have a mode for tdbloader[2] where invalid
> triples/quads are simply ignored.

somehow that seems like a bad idea.

there are already tools which one could use to that end.
in the case of the core wikidata dataset, rapper (which i do not hereby to elevate to the role of nt conformance accreditation, but anyway) rejects several thousand statements and can be used to reduce the dataset to those which are valid.

$ rapper -i ntriples -o ntriples wikidata-statements.nt > wikidata-statements-clean.nt 2> wikidata-statements-errors.txt
$ ls -l wikidata-statements*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38770855255 Apr  1 16:00 wikidata-statements-clean.nt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     1540120 Apr  1 16:00 wikidata-statements-errors.txt
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 38772450070 Mar 28 08:15 wikidata-statements.nt
$ wc -l wikidata*
  233096736 wikidata-statements-clean.nt
       9627 wikidata-statements-errors.txt
  233106288 wikidata-statements.nt

from which i looks like some of the errors do not cause it to suppress the statement.

we would be reluctant to host something in that condition as a service, as one never knows which relations have been eliminated and how central they might be to the dataset’s utility.

best regards, from berlin,

> [...]
>>> between each try is very straining and probably a big deterrent for newcomers.
>>> I had it with DBpedia and now I have it with Wikidata all over again (with
>>> new syntax problems).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Michael Brunnbauer
>>>

> --
> ++  Michael Brunnbauer
> ++  netEstate GmbH
> ++  Geisenhausener Straße 11a
> ++  81379 München
> ++  Tel +49 89 32 19 77 80
> ++  Fax +49 89 32 19 77 89
> ++  E-Mail brunni@netestate.de
> ++  http://www.netestate.de/
> ++
> ++  Sitz: München, HRB Nr.142452 (Handelsregister B München)
> ++  USt-IdNr. DE221033342
> ++  Geschäftsführer: Michael Brunnbauer, Franz Brunnbauer
> ++  Prokurist: Dipl. Kfm. (Univ.) Markus Hendel

---

Posted by Michael Brunnbauer <br...@netestate.de>.
Hello Andy,

--