Posted to muse-user@ws.apache.org by Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com> on 2006/07/06 19:21:49 UTC

Re: Regarding notifications

Hi,

I don't think you'll like this answer, but this is actually the "desired
behavior" from a WS-N standpoint. Each new call to subscribe() creates a
new subscription (ws-resource), and that subscription will notify its
subscribers whenever a message is published to its topic. There is no
default policy to prevent duplicate consumer reference and topic
combinations among the subscription manager's subscriptions, and it would
hard to police this anyway given that two EPRs can point to the same
consumer.

That said, it should be possible to introduce a (WSN-defined) policy that
checks for duplicate consumer references and either throw a fault or
return the existing subscription EPR when it happens. the only thing you'd
have to watch for on the second scenario is duplicate calls to WSRL
Destroy when you wanted to end the subscription(s).

I'm not familiar enough with how pubscribe works to tell you how to
introduce such a policy, or if you can override one or more methods in the
implementation to create the behavior. The JavaDocs don't include any info
on their implementation classes, and there is no API for adding/affecting
subscription policies.

Dan

"Muni Reddy" <na...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/30/2006 04:31:45 AM:

>  Hi Dan,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Yes, both notification messages have the same topic value since I have
> subscribed for "Comment" property twice from the same consumer.
>

> I am using filesystem example. I didn't add manageability capability
topics.

> My requirement is whenever changes happen to resource properties; I want
> notifications from the notification producer.
>

> The problem is, if the same consumer sends request to subscribe again
for
> the same property which has subscribed earlier, the notification
producer is
> sending notification twice to the same consumer for the same property
when
> change happens to that property.
>

> I was surprised why subscription manager is allowing subscription twice
for
> the same property (let say "Comment") from the same consumer endpoint?
>

> Is there any way to allow consumer to subscribe only once for one
> topic/property?
>

> - Naga Muni Reddy
>

> On 6/30/06, Daniel Jemiolo <da...@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Without seeing your project, it's tough to say, but I'm guessing that
> > perhaps "Comment" is a resource property, and the two notifications
you're

> > getting are:
> >
> > 1. the WSRP ResourcePropertyValueChangeNotification
> >
> > 2. the same notification for the topic representing the manageability
> > capability defining "Comment"
> >
> > The way WSDM defines its capability topics and the way WSRP defines
> > property change topics kind of clash in this regard, and that can
result
> > in two notifications. Is this what's happening? Or do both
notification
> > messages have the same topic value?
> >
> > Dan
> >

> > Dan Jemiolo
> > IBM Corporation
> > Research Triangle Park, NC
> >

> > +++ I'm an engineer. I make slides that people can't read. Sometimes I
eat
> > donuts. +++
> >

> > "Muni Reddy" < nagamuni.reddy@gmail.com> wrote on 06/29/2006 06:44:55
AM: