Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/18 13:33:35 UTC

[arch] VM Candidate : JNode

I would like to mention the JNode VM.  It is written in Java with a
platform specific nanokernel (currently a stable x86 and a development
X86_64) with the direct aim of running a full Java enviroment on the
bare metal.

The performance figures show that the JIT gives performance higher than
50% of the 1.4.2 hotspot.

http://jnode.sourceforge.net/portal/node/51

It is currently rather hungry for memory and has a suboptimal GC.  A
patched GNU Classpath is used.

--
  Thorbjørn

RE: [arch] VM Candidate : JNode

Posted by Renaud BECHADE <re...@numerix.com>.
>>However, a generic JIT-plugin framework would be quite interesting.
Yes!!!!
(as it could enable to separate java five base libraries support + some
runtime stuffs [JNI/CNI and co] from pure JIT concerns...)

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sh...@computer.org.
> I would like to mention the JNode VM.

> The performance figures show that the JIT gives performance higher than
> 50% of the 1.4.2 hotspot.
>
> http://jnode.sourceforge.net/portal/node/51

Those scores seems to be produced by HotSpot Client VM.
If HotSpot Server VM was used, the score of Sun J2SDK 1.4.2
will be higher than 7500.
JNode is a great effort, I respect it and performance will not be
the primary target of the harmony. But Sun's runtime performes better
than the page shows.

Sorry for being off-topic a little.

P.S.
I found One of benchmark programs, Sieve.java in jnodesources-0.2.0.tar.gz
looks same as Sieve.java distributed with TYA (*1).
The Sieve.java has been distributed with TYA since 1999 at least,
but one with JNode 0.2.0 has a line "Copyright (C) 2005 JNode.org".
Is Sieve.java in public domain?

(*1) TYA: a JIT compiler, http://sax.sax.de/~adlibit/

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JNode

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On May 19, 2005, at 3:37 PM, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>

>> Can the VM be tweaked to work on standard OSs?
>>

> Not immediately.  I have raised the Harmony issue on the
> development forums, so I hope that they show interest in the issue
> here, and may be able to elaborate on whether JNode might be a
> suitable starting spot for Harmony.

Please let us know how it goes.  Thanks :)

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: [arch] VM Candidate : JNode

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.