Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Gudu <gu...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/07 08:28:54 UTC

Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Hello all,

I have lots of MXML and ActionScript file. I have been tried to convert
these files to HTML/JS using FlaconJX and FlexJS. I like to ask if someone
has any success converting Flex application with FlexJS or FalconJX.
I have followed this instruction to configure the development
environment:https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Falcon+and+FalconJX+Developer+Setup
but I didn't manage to set the development environment.

Is it possible to convert Flex application to HTML5/JS using FlaconJX or
FlexJS?

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by Olaf Krueger <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
Maybe this also helps:
http://apache-flex-users.2333346.n4.nabble.com/FalconJX-How-To-Use-td14824.html#a14841

have to replace your mx/spark components by FlexJS components. Depending on
your code base that could be more or less work.
All pure AS3 code without any dependencies to flex/flash should work out of
the box with FlexJS.
A flex/flash dependency could be identified by imports that start with e.g.
flash, spark or mx... e.g.:

import mx.collections.ArrayCollection;

Hope this helps,
Olaf

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
Yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ>

The rest of the presentations should help as well:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4EsaSA9xpnnraJX7NzpX6eh_P95RO8Pj>

Posted by Harbs <ha...@gmail.com>.
No.

MXML does not convert to HTML. In FlexJS it converts it to JS files.

You might be able to use the compiler to generate js that you can incorporate into other code.

We have been very happy with FlexJS. Why don’t you want to use the framework?

Harbs

Posted by Olaf Krueger <po...@olafkrueger.net>.
>Our plan is to migrate from Adobe Flex to HTML/JS but it is not to convert
it to FlexJS.
FlexJS also places you in the position to use HTML with AS3 [1]

>Now, I am asking if any possiblity of converting the MXML to HTM
I think there's no way to convert MXML to HTML automatically.

Hope this helps,
Olaf

[1]
https://nextgenactionscript.com/tutorials/html-with-transpiled-actionscript/

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
If you plan to write your app in JS and only need FalconJX for the initial
conversion that's a possibility too, though it might not be the optimal one.
You might want to watch [1] Harbs' talk on how to get it to compile. You can
then use the created sources to build your own architecture on that.

Good luck!

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FcLs0O-BWQ

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gudu,

The answer is yes and no.
Yes - You will be able in most cases convert your business logic which is
not have dependency to flash to FlexJS.

No - Unfortunately your UI need to be rewrite probably from scratch.

If you are going to write your own application I think everything what you
need is download Framework through the installer [1]. Then create your first
Hello World app in order to see how everything is working [2]. There couple
of IDE which has quite nice support [3][4].

Drop us a questions if you have any problems.

[1] http://flex.apache.org/installer.html (Recommend to wait couple of days
cause we are soon release FlexJS 0.8)
[2]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Create+A+FlexJS+Project+with+Maven
[3] http://moonshine-ide.com/
[4] https://github.com/BowlerHatLLC/vscode-nextgenas

Piotr

-----
Apache Flex PMC
piotrzarzycki21@gmail.com

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by yishayw <yi...@hotmail.com>.
It is possible,  we've been doing it.

Unless you want to modify the framework you don't need the developer setup.

This [1] should get you started.

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Getting+Started+With+FlexJS

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by piotrz <pi...@gmail.com>.
Gudu,

Yes it is create, but as I stated in my post - You will be able to
automatically convert logic which do not have dependency to Flash. If you
have some library or separate business logic from you UI - That is something
which FalconJX should handle without the problem.

Flex UI need to be rewrite.

Yishay and Harbs is a good example - they are porting their Flex app to
FlexJS. You can watch Harbs presentation from FlexJS Summit [1]

Posted by Gudu <gu...@gmail.com>.
So does it mean, FlexJS and FalconJX don't create HTML/CSS/JavaScript from
Flex Application. Some published paper described FalconJX  and FlexJS as a
means to migrate Flex application to HTML5/JS application. If someone has
success migrating from Flex application to HTML5

Re: Is it possible to Convert Flex Application to HTML5

Posted by PKumar <pr...@gmail.com>.
Not completely, you can re-use your existing business logic and back end
serverice but view components you have to rewrite using FlexJS components
set.