Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nahon <lb...@hu.tesco-europe.com> on 2006/11/03 09:10:23 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache/2.0.55 (Win32) PHP/5.1.1 problem

Hi.

I maintain a web server using the above software and I experience problems I
don't know how to solve.
The first (and the most annoying) one is when sometimes the Apache (I think)
"flats out": processor load of Apache processes are 0 and no requests are
served. Apache doesn't get responding until restarted. This issue comes up
5-10 times a day!
The second one is when something goes wrong and the browser only says: Page
not found. After a refresh everything is OK and during that other users can
use the services. This happens very often.
The third one is the inverse of the first. Processor load is at the skies
and no requests are served. There is no reason for Apache to act like this
(I mean PHP scripts don't cause this much and/or this level of load). The
server doesn't get responding until restarted. The problem happens 1-2 times
a day.

I've digged into the .conf files and the manual to find the reason of the
errors but not a single clue I found.
What can these be? Where to dig?

Thx,
Nahon

Re: [users@httpd] RE: RE: Apache/2.0.55 (Win32) PHP/5.1.1 problem

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
5.2.0 released last week.

Use it.

Posted by clb <cl...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Nahon <lb...@hu.tesco-europe.com>.

Boyle Owen wrote:

> I'd still come back to the DB - 9 times out of 10 these type of problems
> are due to DB issues (dead-locking?)

For me it's quite interesting because the databases work fine. Unfortunately
I don't know the deep mechanism of database handling in PHP but I don't see
why should make a DB deadlok (which is unlikely happening I think) collapse
the whole Apache... (as in the first or second problem).
Could it be because of PHP is a module of Apache not a CGI?

[users@httpd] RE: Apache/2.0.55 (Win32) PHP/5.1.1 problem

Posted by Nahon <lb...@hu.tesco-europe.com>.
I use old Apache because of PHP docs say so (as far as I remember).
PHP does do (lots of) DB operations but no transactions ( :) ) on MSSQL but
the queries are optimized for good performance (and if no errors, pages
loads 0.01 to 2 secs (there are heavy queries)). (It is a firm intranet site
for logistic management.)
Win32 is Windows Server 2003 with latest service packs and resources
priorised to services.
Total hourly hit count is about 7,000, the most downloads are .php (circa
90%) and the rest are images and Excel sheets. About 70% are LAN and 30% WAN
requests (which means network load can not be an issue).
The "iron" is a Dell server machine, Intel Xeon 3,06GHz, 2GB RAM and SATA
hard drives (weekly defragmented).