Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Taylor Dondich <td...@majiknetworks.com> on 2003/12/08 21:08:45 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2 Error: Symbolic link not allowed: with mod_vhost_alias

I am attempting to use mod_vhost_alias, however, when trying to access a
virtual host, it gives the error: Symbolic link not allowed: and then
the path to the domain in question.  Here's my layout:

VirtualDocumentRoot /virtuals/%2+/%1/public_html
VirtualScriptAlias /virtuals/%2+/%1/cgi-bin

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride All
</Directory>

Now, for example, say we pull up example.com, it looks in /virtuals/ for
an example.com.  It exists, but it's a symbolic link to
/home/myuser/virtuals/example.com

It says it cannot follow this.  Both owners of the link and the target
example.com are root.  The default permissions state to allow symbolic
links.  I'm thinking maybe another module or something is overriding
this.  My Server identification statement is:

Apache/2.0.48 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_11 Perl/v5.8.0 mod_ssl/2.0.48
OpenSSL/0.9.7c DAV/2 JRun/4.0 PHP/4.3.4 Server at ts.netnevada.net Port 80
(Ugly, isn't it?  ;)

Running on Redhat 9.  I've personally compiled each peice of software.

I can attach my httpd.conf if anyone requests it.

If anyone can be of assistance, it'd be much appreciated.

Taylor

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 Error: Symbolic link not allowed: with mod_vhost_alias

Posted by Taylor Dondich <td...@majiknetworks.com>.
Can you be more descriptive on how this replaces?

Taylor

[users@httpd] Possible internal external conflict?

Posted by Kent Healey <kh...@email.com>.
I am able to run apache 2.0 on my Windows XP pro BOX, and I have
successfully installed the software so when I go to my domain. Gamerspec.com
whatever I have in HTDocs loads properly.

But when I try to do this from the outside, I get no page found errors.

For testing purposes I have my firewall disabled and my wireless router is
listening to port 80.

What are most common problems when a page can load from the host and not
from the outside.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 Error: Symbolic link not allowed: with mod_vhost_alias

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
Ah recent change: