Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Ingo Thon <is...@gmx.de> on 2012/09/19 08:43:33 UTC

xml files written by eclipse plugin

Dear List,

I’m using the Eclipse Plugin to edit UIMA-Descriptor Files. The resulting files are stored and tracked in a mercurial repository.
However, when the files are opened and saved on different machines the order of the entries in the resulting xml files are quite often slightly reshuffled, e.g.,
the order of the delegateAnalysisEngine. Same problem holds for the different parameter.
Even though this doesn’t change the meaning of the descriptor it results quite often in very annoying merge conflicts.

Is there any way to change this behavior?

As the plugin always reshuffles the same blocks of entries, it seems to me that the XML File is stored in a HashMap and the hash computation
differs between those machines. If this is the case it should be possible to use a SortedHashMap or something similar

Best regards,
Ingo

Re: xml files written by eclipse plugin

Posted by Burn Lewis <bu...@gmail.com>.
That was fixed in June with UIMA-2418 (which I see I forgot to close) but
is not in a release yet.  I used LinkedHashMaps to preserve the order so
that
users also have some control over initialization order.  I added JUnit
tests that also verify Marshall's updates to preserve white-space and
comments,

~Burn