Posted to dev@gora.apache.org by Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/04 20:50:34 UTC

DRAFT GORA REPORT

Hi Everyone,

Please see below for a draft report. I'll send this in tomorrow unless
there are objections or anything to add.

Thanks

Lewis

Apache Gora

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and
persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key
value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with
extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support.

Project Releases

The last official project release was made on 24/09/2011 which was the
0.1.1-incubating release (2nd whilst in the Incubator). Since last
reporting there have been few commits but the ones we've seen
have been fairly significant, but still 4 issues to
be addressed before we can progress to a 0.2 release candidate.
Major issues to be addressed include implementing tests for the
gora-cassandra
module, an upgrade to Hadoop 1.0.0.

Overall Project Activity since last report

Activity roughly shadows last months average, with nothing exceptional
taking place.
A blocker issue with our usage of a particular sql library has been dealt
with,
additionally Keith Turner was able to commit his gora-accumulo module, as
the
distribution of Accumulo was released and available for us to use. Ferdy
committed a nice piece of work which now provides users with the ability to
properly support multiple data store implementations in parallel. We've also
seen keen interest for our proposed GSoC project which is to add a
gora-Amazon
DyanmoDB module to the project and look forward to picking up traction with
this in the near future.

We recently received (rather encouragingly) that someone struggled to join
the user@ list. This was because this list did not exist, it has however
now been
created. We've had some questions coming into the project regarding the
hbase
module, and whether or not we were going to support certain features within
Gora,
however unfortunately none of these issues lead to any commits from outside
the
existing community.

Changes to PMC & Committers

NONE

PMC and Committer diversity

We currently have committers from a wide variety of projects including,
Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo & Hadoop (this is not an exhaustive
list). There is work to be done with the Avro implementations, so once we
are 100% ready to work on these issues, we will be looking to interest
members of the Avro community in Gora. It would also be nice to attract
members of the Hector and Cassandra community so we will work towards this
goal.

Project Branding or Naming issues

NONE

Legal issues

NONE

--
*Lewis*

Re: DRAFT GORA REPORT

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 Lewis

Thanks

- Henry

Re: DRAFT GORA REPORT

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Super +1.

Great report dude.

Cheers,
Chris

On Apr 4, 2012, at 11:50 AM, Lewis John Mcgibbney wrote:

> [...]
> hbase
> module, and whether or not we were going to support certain features within
> Gora,
> however unfortunately none of these issues lead to any commits from outside
> the
> existing community.
>
> Changes to PMC & Committers
>
> NONE
>
> PMC and Committer diversity
>
> We currently have committers from a wide variety of projects including,
> Nutch, Tika, OODT, Camel, Solr, Accumulo & Hadoop (this is not an exhaustive
> list). There is work to be done with the Avro implementations, so once we
> are 100% ready to work on these issues, we will be looking to interest
> members of the Avro community in Gora. It would also be nice to attract
> members of the Hector and Cassandra community so we will work towards this

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246
Email: chris.a.mattmann@nasa.gov