Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Nadeem Mohammed <ja...@gmail.com> on 2016/07/02 06:16:04 UTC

Fwd: Arabic Text Not Print Properly

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Nadeem Mohammed" <ja...@gmail.com>
Date: Jun 24, 2016 4:30 PM
Subject: Arabic Text Not Print Properly
To: <de...@pdfbox.apache.org>

Hi

I have create a report in Arabic but it will not show in a proper format.
Text shown in a left to right. with no join between them.
I want to print  نديم
but it will show as م ي د ن

list of jar files i have in my project.I saw that issue has been resolved
but getting error in downloading patch file.

fontbox-2.0.2.jar
icu4j-49_1.jar
icu4j-charset-49_1.jar
pdfbox-2.0.2.jar
pdfbox-app-2.0.1.jar
preflight-2.0.2.jar

how to resolve this issue please tell me and if have any example please
show me please.

Best Regards
Mohammed Nadeem
+91 9049210840

Re: Arabic Text Not Print Properly

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 12 Jul 2016, at 22:46, Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> I had a look last week at fop to read GSUB, GDEF and GPOS and got it to work (i.e. just that it reads the tables), but ended up with about 20 additional files and I did not even include the bidi files yet. Then I looked at the test code and sadly it's all arab glyph names. (I had hoped we could start with latin ligatures like fl, ffl, fi etc)

I’d just like to note that reading the tables (while non-trivial) is the easy bit. Writing an Arabic shaping engine which uses those rules is rather more difficult! While the rules in those tables are technically “general purpose”, the reality is that you need a specific shaping engine for specific scripts/languages to handle the different rules.

Still, Arabic is not *that* hard compared to say, some of the Indic scripts.

— John

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
I had a look last week at fop to read GSUB, GDEF and GPOS and got it to
work (i.e. just that it reads the tables), but ended up with about 20
additional files and I did not even include the bidi files yet. Then I
looked at the test code and sadly it's all arab glyph names. (I had
hoped we could start with latin ligatures like fl, ffl, fi etc)

Tilman

Am 02.07.2016 um 13:24 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> Hi,
>
> I'd suggest to take a look at Apache FOP to generate such PDFs.
>
> At that point in time there are some important pieces missing in PDFBox to make that an easy task:
>
> # no support for different writing directions in operations such as showText
> # no GSUB table parsing to get proper joining characters
>
> it's not that it can't be done with the current code base but it will be a major task to implement a basic RTL and complex script support before you can concentrate on 'printing' your text.
>
> BR
> Maruan
>

>> Am 02.07.2016 um 12:05 schrieb Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> You didn't get an answer because it isn't supported (and you're on the wrong mailing list too).
>>
>> None of us knows that language, which has different glyphs than the ones we use. From what I know, it isn't enough to just reverse the characters, the glyphs (which is the "image" of one or of several characters) must be chosen depending on their position, so that they are joined.
>>
>> Re "I saw that issue has been resolved but getting error in downloading patch file."
>>
>> No it hasn't. Where did you see that?
>>
>> Tilman
>>
>> Am 02.07.2016 um 08:16 schrieb Nadeem Mohammed:

>>> icu4j-49_1.jar
>>> icu4j-charset-49_1.jar
>>> pdfbox-2.0.2.jar
>>> pdfbox-app-2.0.1.jar