Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@yahoo.com> on 2004/10/22 07:50:50 UTC

Few comments on Windows Installation Guide

Hi all,
   I reviewed the content of the windows install guide and have the following comments:

1. In the contents list only the first link work on Mozilla. The rest does not work. However they
are working with IE.

2. We have info on installing Expat/Xerces only after "Installation with Apache 1.3.X/2.X web
server"
I think parser installation should be step 2 of "Installation with Apache 1.3.X/2.X web server" or
mentioned before that. (installing parsers in not part of Axis C++ installation)

3. Under "Running Provided Samples" it says, If Axis installation is a complete success,.....
However, the doc does not mention accessing http://localhost/axis to verify the successful
deplyment of server side.

4. Steps 10 and 11 of "Installation with Apache 1.3.X/2.X web server" mention about copying parser
libs to AxisXMLParser_Xerces.dll. However it does not mention that the use coudl switch the parser
by editing axiscpp.conf file, which I think is the better way to switch parsers.

5. In step 12 of "Installation with Apache 1.3.X/2.X web server" it says: Rename axiscpp.conf_win
which is in AXIS_FOLDER to axiscpp.conf.
We should use %AXISCPP_DEPLOY% instead of AXIS_FOLDER here so that we do not use too many names
and confuse the user (In this case, better to relpace all AXIS_FOLDER with %AXISCPP_DEPLOY%)

6. In step 12 of "Installation with Apache 1.3.X/2.X web server" mentions only few settings
possible in axiscpp.conf. We got to have a summary of settings possible in axiscpp.conf here. (see
Linux install guide for an example)

HTH.

Thanks,
Samisa...

http://vote.yahoo.com

Re: Few comments on Windows Installation Guide

Posted by ra...@opensource.lk.

Hi Samisa,

It's a good idea to edit the win install guide with your information.

Regards,
Rangika