Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> on 2010/03/27 03:16:46 UTC

Re: [Lucy] Logged dev IRC channel

Marvin Humphrey wrote on 3/26/10 11:40 AM:

> I'd like to add logged IRC to our kit because I prefer it for brainstorming.
> It takes me a lot of time to compose emails, and in general I think that's
> time well spent.  But for marathon ping-pong matches like the recent "Baby
> steps" thread or <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-1458>, I don't
> think the time that went into those has made them any more comprehensible,
> either to people reading along at the time or to people examining the archives
> now.  If anything, I think we would have brought more people along had we used
> IRC because the informal nature of the medium makes it easier for someone to
> pop in with a "wait, what?"

I like irc, I use it and other IM tech pretty regularly. I also keep logs of all
my sessions, and typically stay logged in so I can read the scrollback.

But, while very useful for quick conversations, brainstorming, social stuff,
etc., I am mixed about having a public log of everything on the channel. It
would tend to fragment the historical record. I like the statement in that
lucene thread that if it isn't on the list, it didn't happen. For historical
purposes, decision-making, etc., I prefer that.

Does the logging really help the community? Or is it simply handy for your own
memory-jogging? I'm not faulting the latter, just wondering.