Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi> on 2017/02/13 12:46:46 UTC

Heads up: SOLR-10130, Performance issue in Solr 6.4.1

Hi all,

this is just a quick heads-up that we've stumbled on serious performance
issues after upgrading to Solr 6.4.1 apparently due to the new metrics
collection causing a major slowdown. I've filed an issue
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10130) about it, but decided
to post this just so that anyone else doesn't need to encounter this
unprepared. It seems to me that metrics would need to be explicitly
disabled altogether in the index config to avoid the issue.

--Ere

Re: Heads up: SOLR-10130, Performance issue in Solr 6.4.1

Posted by Andrzej Białecki <an...@lucidworks.com>.
> On 13 Feb 2017, at 13:46, Ere Maijala <er...@helsinki.fi> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> this is just a quick heads-up that we've stumbled on serious performance issues after upgrading to Solr 6.4.1 apparently due to the new metrics collection causing a major slowdown. I've filed an issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-10130) about it, but decided to post this just so that anyone else doesn't need to encounter this unprepared. It seems to me that metrics would need to be explicitly disabled altogether in the index config to avoid the issue.
>
> --Ere

Unfortunately this bug is present in both 6.4.0 and 6.4.1, and needs a patch, ie. config changes won’t solve it.

It’s a pity that Solr doesn’t have a continuous performance benchmark setup, like Lucene does.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki

--=# http://www.lucidworks.com #=--

Re: Heads up: SOLR-10130, Performance issue in Solr 6.4.1

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.
I’m seeing similar problems here. With 6.4.0, we were handling 6000 requests/minute. With 6.4.1 it is 1000 rpm with median response times around 2.5 seconds. I also switched to the G1 collector. I’m going to back that out and retest today to see if the performance comes back.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org