Posted to c-dev@axis.apache.org by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/30 10:39:21 UTC

XML stax parser with improved performance

Hi,

In the past few weeks I was going through the code in Guththila and I
was trying to identify the weaknesses in the parser. I was playing
around with the code and introduced quite a lot of changes. At the end
I realized that I have a completely different parser from the original
one. In fact now I call the new parser Musila (In Jathaka story Musila
learnt from Guththila and became better than Guththila). I have tested
the Musila with Guththila and it runs 2.5 to 3 times faster than
Guththila.

I would really like to contribute this code to Apache Axis2/C.  But
there are few difficulties in doing that. First one is that I have
written it without any dependency to Axis2/C. The next major concern
is that I couldn't test it rigorously (I have tested it with few XML
files) but I think there are lot testing that need to be done.

Regards,

Supun.

Re: XML stax parser with improved performance

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@wso2.com>.
Supun Kamburugamuva wrote:

> On 5/30/07, Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Given that new code is similar to old code and is better, why not
>> replace current code in Guththila with new code? That helps in terms of
>> maintenance I suppose - rather than to maintain two code bases, maintain
>> one. What advantage would we get keeping both the code bases without
>> replacing old with new?
>>

> The new parser is completely different from Guththila except it has
> the same interface as Guththila. So I'm not hundred percent confident,
> in replacing the Guththila code at once. I would like to suggest we
> keep both projects at least for the initial period of time and if
> Musila turns out to be better than Guththila in every aspect we can
> remove the code.

I would like to repeat that my main concern in keeping two of them is
maintanance, not only code, but also docs.
If we are to replace Guththila with Musila at some point in time, then
it is no point that we take the effort and change the docs.
If that is the case, I propose that we put the code with Musila to
scratch till it gets mature.

Samisa...

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samisa Abeysinghe <sa...@gmail.com>.
Supun Kamburugamuva wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> > I would really like to contribute this code to Apache Axis2/C.  But
>> > there are few difficulties in doing that. First one is that I have
>> > written it without any dependency to Axis2/C. The next major concern
>> > is that I couldn't test it rigorously (I have tested it with few XML
>> > files) but I think there are lot testing that need to be done.
>> I think , It doesn't need to dependant on Axis2/C , you just need to
>> implement parser abstraction layer. Once you commit it to svn , we
>> could find more people to test hopefully :)
>
> Can we intergrate Musila to Axis2/C as a seperate project like Guththila.
There are two options, replace Guththila old code with new code or add
new code as Musila.

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
"Supun Kamburugamuva" <su...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
>> > I would really like to contribute this code to Apache Axis2/C.  But
>> > there are few difficulties in doing that. First one is that I have
>> > written it without any dependency to Axis2/C. The next major concern
>> > is that I couldn't test it rigorously (I have tested it with few XML
>> > files) but I think there are lot testing that need to be done.
>> I think , It doesn't need to dependant on Axis2/C , you just need to
>> implement parser abstraction layer. Once you commit it to svn , we
>> could find more people to test hopefully :)
>
> Can we intergrate Musila to Axis2/C as a seperate project like Guththila.
Yes, In order to do that we need to implement parser abstraction layer
:)

thanks,
Dinesh
--
Dinesh Premalal
http://xydinesh.wordpress.com

Re: XML stax parser with improved performance

Posted by Supun Kamburugamuva <su...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Dinesh Premalal <xy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Supun,
"Supun Kamburugamuva" <su...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In the past few weeks I was going through the code in Guththila and I
> was trying to identify the weaknesses in the parser. I was playing
> around with the code and introduced quite a lot of changes. At the end
> I realized that I have a completely different parser from the original
> one. In fact now I call the new parser Musila (In Jathaka story Musila
> learnt from Guththila and became better than Guththila). I have tested
> the Musila with Guththila and it runs 2.5 to 3 times faster than
> Guththila.
Thats Great !!!