Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Gurushant Hanchinal <gu...@yahoo.co.in> on 2005/01/27 12:34:25 UTC

Velocity Examples

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know the link or source to get more examples on Velocity ?

Thanks in advance..

Regards,

Guru

Re: velocity and JET (java emitter templates)

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report.  I'm sure it will be of value to other people
who will consider the template engines in the future.

## Somebody might want to make an xdoc/wiki page for this.  :)

> >>Sorry, I don't know anything about JET, but I was wondering if you
> >>could share with us what you have found about the two.
> >>Shinobu "Kawai" Yoshida <sh...@gmail.com>
>
> Sure thing, What I have found is that JET or Java Emitter Templates is an
> Eclipse technology www.eclipse.org and part of EMF (though I'm sure it
> could have been made a separate plugin).
> Similar to Velocity, JET takes templates, script and data objects and
> merges the three to create a final output.
> JET uses a JSP like scripting language. JET also allows full translation
> from templates to resulting output
> or you can compile your templates to java classes, and simply invoke the
> java class.
>
> If your interested in this I have found two really good tutorials on the
> technology which can be found at:
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-JET/jet_tutorial1.html
> and
> http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-JET2/jet_tutorial2.html
>
> I haven't really come to any conclusions other than JET is built into
> eclipse and supports eclipse projects. The few tests I have
> ran with JET have been very favorable, I didn't run into any problems with
> what I Was trying to do.
>
> Performance wise I have no ideas how the two compare, though the compile
> to class feature might be nice.
>
> ALSO I thought I'd mention that while I was researching JET I ran into
> another new technology that is for reporting
> that is being worked on called BIRT (B.I.R.T.). Business Intelligence and
> Reporting Tools,  take a look at
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/birt/
>
> Though thats about the extent of my knowledge at this point on it.

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>

Re: velocity and JET (java emitter templates)

Posted by Mike J Boyersmith <mj...@us.ibm.com>.

Posted by Shinobu Kawai <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mike,

> Hi Does anyone have any any experience working with both of these template
> technologies?
>
> I'm evaluating both and trying to get a feel for what they can and can't
> do, so far
> I'm getting the impression that velocity provides a more flexible solution
> but wondering
>
> whats your experiences out there might have been with both.

Sorry, I don't know anything about JET, but I was wondering if you
could share with us what you have found about the two.  Maybe we can
add a new page under "Comparisons".  :)

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

Re: Velocity Examples

Posted by Gurushant Hanchinal <gu...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi Shinobu,

Thanks for the mail.
I will go thru the links provided and will get back to u.
Thanks
Guru

Shinobu Kawai Yoshida <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Guru,

> I am looking on examples for reading the XML document content and rendering
> in any formats like Java classes, HTML , text and so on.

Ah, then you are looking for Anakia/DVSL samples.
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/dvsl/index.html

They are used to create sites for Velocity/VelocityTools respectively.
You might want to check out the source from the SVN repo and take a
peek. :)
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html

I'm not sure, but I think Torque uses Velocity to generate SQL from XML.
http://db.apache.org/torque/

> I tried your both sites to access your test examples, i am unable to connect
> to both the sites.

That's weird... At least I can see the site on sf.net.

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu "Kawai" Yoshida

Re: Velocity Examples

Posted by Shinobu Kawai Yoshida <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guru,

Re: Velocity Examples

Posted by Gurushant Hanchinal <gu...@yahoo.co.in>.
Hi Shinobu,

Thanks for the mail.
I am looking on examples for reading the XML document content and rendering in any formats like Java classes, HTML , text and so on.

I tried your both sites to access your test examples, i am unable to connect to both the sites.

Examples sent as an attachment will be appreciated.
Looking forward for your positive response.

Thanks & Regards,
Guru

Shinobu Kawai Yoshida <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Some tests I wrote: (This site will be down for a while, though...)
> http://sylow.no-ip.com/maven/site/ShinobuDemo/xref-test/org/ieee/shinobu/demo/velocity/package-summary.html

Temporarily moved to here:
http://maven-doccheck.sourceforge.net/samples/ShinobuDemo/xref-test/org/ieee/shinobu/demo/velocity/package-summary.html

Best regards,
-- Shinobu

--
Shinobu "Kawai" Yoshida

Re: Velocity Examples

Posted by Shinobu Kawai Yoshida <sh...@gmail.com>.

Re: Velocity Examples

Posted by Shinobu Kawai Yoshida <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gurushant,

> Can anyone please let me know the link or source to get more examples on Velocity ?

What kind of examples are you looking for?

Here's something you can chew on:
Velocity itself:
   http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/index.html
Velocity Tools: