Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Drew Taylor <dt...@vialogix.com> on 2000/06/14 15:36:33 UTC

Re: Modperl Test Problem and Redhat6.2 Apache::DBI strange thing. Thanks.

Steven Zhu wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> Thank you all for taking time to read this message.
>
> I got two things that i really don't understand.
>
> 1. I got RedHat6.2. I tried to install modperl. Apache1.3.12 and modperl
> 1.24.
> I installed every prerequired package. Configuration is fine and
> compiling is fine
> without any errors. But i never got test passed. The error messages:
>
> httpd listening on port 8529
> will write error_log to: t/logs/error_log
> letting apache warm up...\c
> done
> /usr/bin/perl t/TEST 0
> still waiting for server to warm up...............not ok
> server failed to start! (please examine t/logs/error_log) at t/TEST line
> 95.
> make: *** [run_tests] Error 9
>
> I check error.log file:
>
> [notice] Destruction->DESTROY called for $global_object
> [Tue Jun 13 18:42:39 2000] [warn] [notice] child_init for process 20497,
> report
> any problems to [no address given]
>
> There is nothing i can do. I am so frustrated because we has another
> machine upgrated from
> redhat5.2 to 6.1. We installed modperl without any problem. We tested
> everything ok.
> Please point out. Greate Thanks.
I remember a recent thread about this in the list. Try searching the
archives. You might also try running make test as root, rather than a
normal user. I could be wrong, but the right answer was given by
Doug(?).

> 2. Since i can't get my new modperl running. I just use modperl coming
> with redhat6.2.
> The weired thing is that if i put PerlModule Apache::DBI in httpd.conf,
> the web server
> can not startup. If i take that out, the server can connect with
> database ( because i put
> use DBI; in perl script file?). But i can't get persistent connections,
> sometimes it can connect
> with database (mysql), sometimes it can't connect database with the
> following errors
I noticed this problem with Apache::DBI with the redhat mod_perl RPM. It
would just silently die, with no visible errors.

The first thing to do is pull the latest Apache and mod_perl source
distributions (1.3.12 & 1.24) and compile it yourself. See the guide for
instructions - go ahead and use the  "10 minutes to mod_perl"
instructions.

--
Drew Taylor
Vialogix Communications, Inc.

Re: Modperl Test Problem and Redhat6.2 Apache::DBI strange thing. Thanks.

Posted by Drew Taylor <dt...@vialogix.com>.
Steven Zhu wrote:

> Thank you for your quick answer. Is any way to find the thread about this
> issue quickly?
> I got most recent modperl and apache. I did all as you said as root. But test
> is always problem. I has another machine. The machine has no problem for any
> version
> modperl and apache at all, always pass test. I guess that we missed something.
> But it does not make sense because this professional OS redhat6.2 is
> preinstalled on machine, should include all necessary libraries... I have no
> idea, compiler does not
> complain any thing, even no warnings or errors...
I'd try searching for "test fail" and possibly "MacEachern" since Doug
was the one who answered the question. The mailing list archives are
listed on http://perl.apache.org/

> For redhat modperl rpm installation, i did not put PerlModule Apache::DBI
> httpd.conf. Why i still can connect database(most time it is fine, but
> sometimes
> it is not fine.) because i put PerlModule Apache::DBI in httpd.conf. The web
> server
> does not startup. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
My suggestion is to just forget the RPM version of modperl. You should
always compile your own IMHO. I think others on this list would agree.
The RPM that shipped with RH 6.1 (what about RH 6.2?) was very broken in
several respects.

Posted by Steven Zhu <St...@springbow.com>.
[...]

Steven.