Posted to dev@tapestry.apache.org by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> on 2011/02/15 00:29:42 UTC

Remove file update checks in production?

I'm starting to wonder whether Tapestry should, in production mode,
not even check for file changes.  All the related code could be
converted to no-ops and placeholders, and the portion of the code that
even has to decide when to check for file changes could be removed.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Remove file update checks in production?

Posted by Igor Drobiazko <ig...@gmail.com>.
Yes, please. It caused a lot of problems when running Tapestry in OSGi where
a bundle can be reloaded at runtime.

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 12:29 AM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm starting to wonder whether Tapestry should, in production mode,
> not even check for file changes.  All the related code could be
> converted to no-ops and placeholders, and the portion of the code that
> even has to decide when to check for file changes could be removed.
>
> --
> Howard M. Lewis Ship
>
> Creator of Apache Tapestry

> (971) 678-5210
> http://howardlewisship.com

Best regards,

Igor Drobiazko
http://tapestry5.de

Re: Remove file update checks in production?

Posted by Mark <ma...@xeric.net>.
On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 5:29 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to wonder whether Tapestry should, in production mode,
> not even check for file changes.  All the related code could be
> converted to no-ops and placeholders, and the portion of the code that
> even has to decide when to check for file changes could be removed.

It seems like you'd want some way to be in production mode but still
have the checks for file changes.  Some people are using this feature.
 I know I have used it in some production settings.

Would it make sense to have it check for file changes in
non-production mode, not check in production mode, but have a
configuration option that will force the checks to take place even
when it is in production mode?

Mark

Re: Remove file update checks in production?

Posted by Ben Dotte <be...@gmail.com>.
+1

Ben Dotte

Posted by François Facon <fr...@atosorigin.com>.
Thank you for the answer.

For me and for most applications, this change will be welcome.
Tapestry will be more secure.
But I know some big eCommerce applications that use this functionality
withsome of our
product in having the flexibility of jsp.
This can be considered a misuse of this feature, but it gives the user a
simple way to do self editing pages.

is there cleanest way to manually allow discard add remove  pages orcomponents
?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by François Facon <fr...@atosorigin.com>.

Posted by Christophe Cordenier <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Dan Adams <da...@ifactory.com>.
+1

Dan Adams
Principal Software Engineer
iFactory, A Division of RDW Group, Inc.
Innovative, inspiring, intelligent interactive solutions
for the world’s leading institutions

Direct: 617.235.5857
www.ifactory.com
@iFactoryBoston

I think that's a good idea! A client of mine recently had issues due to those checks (root-problem was a bug in the jvm implementation).

Posted by Christian Riedel <cr...@googlemail.com>.
+1