Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Jeff Elsloo <el...@apache.org> on 2018/06/05 16:03:54 UTC

[VOTE] Update Traffic Control to Version 3.0

In light of the major changes introduced into Traffic Router with PR
2331, I would like to call a vote to increase the major version of the
project to 3.0.0. Also note that this version would represent the
first release without official support for CentOS 6.x, though
components might still continue to work. From 3.0.0 forward, only
CentOS 7.x will be officially supported by the project.

This impacts versioning of all components, so if other components are
not ready to make major breaking changes during this transition, we
would need to do so under another major version change in the future.

I'd like to call this vote on Friday, so I will leave this open for 72 hours.
Jeff

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [VOTE] Update Traffic Control to Version 3.0

Posted by "Schmidt, Andrew (Contractor)" <An...@comcast.com>.
+1

On 8/13/18, 8:52 AM, "Jeff Elsloo" <el...@apache.org> wrote:

    Hi all,

    It's a little late, but I finally opened the PR to update the version
    of the Traffic Control project to 3.0.0 [1]. Please let me know if you
    have any issues or concerns.

    As this vote has already passed, my intent is to get this merged
    quickly, followed closely by the Tomcat 8.5 PR [2], which necessitated
    the change.

    [1] https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/2660
    [2] https://github.com/apache/trafficcontrol/pull/2331
    Jeff

Posted by Jeff Elsloo <el...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Jeff Elsloo <el...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dan Kirkwood <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.
+1

Posted by Dewayne Richardson <de...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Butts <ro...@gmail.com>.
+1 Dropping support is breaking change, and needs a major version
increment, per Semantic Versioning.

Posted by Robert Butts <ro...@gmail.com>.
>Does this also present an opportunity to do some breaking API changes for
Traffic Ops that we’ve been wanting to do?

@jvd Technically yes, but I'd vote we don't, because it's going to add a
lot more work to Self-Service to try to port APIs, maintain two major API
versions for at least a major release, and make the Self-Service changes to
both. I'd vote we wait until Self Service is done modifying the API
implementation, before creating API 2.0.

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Dave Neuman <ne...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Eric Friedrich (efriedri)" <ef...@cisco.com>.