Posted to user@cayenne.apache.org by Tobias SCHOESSLER <To...@unvienna.org> on 2006/10/02 10:34:21 UTC

Re: Problems with MySql id type with AUTO_INCREMENT

Sorry,the problem with the sequoia jdbc driver returning Integer Type for
the PK as described below is solved. It was not an issue of cayenne at all.
There were some problem with the update of the schema. sequoia worked with
the old INT UNSIGNED schema tested earlier.

So MySQL 5, Sequoia, db side AUTO_INCREMENT PK using BIGINT and
java.lang.Long mapping seem to work too.

             Tobias.Schoessler
             @unvienna.org
             Friday, 29                cayenne-user@incubator.apache.org,
             September 2006            cayenne-user@incubator.apache.org
             20:39                                                      cc

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to         Re: Problems with MySql id type
             cayenne-user@incu         with AUTO_INCREMENT
             bator.apache.org

ah ok, thanks for clarifying this.

was this MySQL no Locking PkGenerator ever  implemented?

*

Hmm, I got so far with the AUTO_INCREMENT set up, I don't want to drop it
so quickly.

>From reading the Sequoia docs I don't get why the sequoia jdbc driver
returns different meta data than the 'slave' mysql jdbc driver. Especially
if I use a jdbc based tool to lookup the metadata through the Sequoia jdbc
driver I see correct meta data for the pk column reading BIGINT.

In an earlier post you said you found
org.apache.cayenne.access.jdbc.ColumnDescriptor  beeing responsible for
SQLTemplate to retrieve an Integer PK. At that time I was using INT
UNSIGNED and direct Mysql connection. I then changed the PK type to BIGINT,
which fixed the issue.

With Sequoia it now seems to be similar. Everything works fine except the
SQLTemplate test case.

I understand it is difficult to add a Sequoia setup to your test cases, but
could you give me a hint how I could test the
org.apache.cayenne.access.jdbc.ColumnDescriptor Bug with Sequoia myself so
I can make sure sequoia is to blame?

Tobias

Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
Yeah, there is quite a few bugs involved.

First an explanation on Cayenne strategies... Long works with
auto_increment as long as the driver supports it, but doesn't not
work with any other strategy, as all of them are based on overriding
"int JdbcPkGenerator.pkFromDatabase(..)".

What we can do about it now... The simplest way seems to use INT PK
with "auto_pk_table" generation strategy and a custom PkGenerator
that doesn't perform locking.

Here is a mailing list thread on implementing an "optimistic" pk for
MySQL:

http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2006/07/0067.html

Wouldn't mind including this in Cayenne at some point.

Andrus

___
 sent via WebmailLight 3.1.11