Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ricky <Ri...@hotmail.com> on 2003/12/06 05:51:06 UTC

HELP: about to get datasource of struts and pass to logic beans...

hi, there,

    with my project i had several queries about get datasource in struts. i know how to get datasource in struts, just as in myAction, use getDataSource method and return DataSource object, and go on to get connection ....

    i also know the logic beans between the Controller and Module, so i create a logic bean ,i don't know how to get datasourc of pass the datasource, in some tutorial , i got a way to solve this, create a method getDAO(HttpServletRequest request) and pass the request to the method to get DataSource, i was lost here, i dont' know what should i return in getDAO, should i return a DataSource object or others and in my logic bean i can use the datasource and also get connection , statement and resultset object , there i have to close it after i finish my process ....what do you think of this i did ? in general, when i got a DataSource, i will got a connection from datasource and a PrepareStatement and also a ResultSet , when i finished my process, i can close all object i opened before in final method of try ...catch...experession.. now what should i do to return a proper object in getDAO method and in logic beans i can use the object to process logic business...

i appologized for this ... i hope you can give me some suggestion or flow...... thanx!

now here is my flow of struts framework to pass the datasource to the logic beans...  i hope you can reword if you have some good idea...of correct my mistake... :)

    myAction :

    myAction extends Action() {
      public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping mapping,
                               ActionForm form,
                               HttpServletRequest request,
                               HttpServletResponse response) {
        LogicBean bean = new LogicBean();
        Object objcet = bean.doMethod(getDAO(request), other param)
      }

      public DataSource getDAO(HttpServletRequest request) {
        DataSource ds = null;
        ds = getDataSource(request);
        return ds;
      }
    }

    and in my logic bean :

    class LogicBean {
      public Objct doMethod(DataSource ds, other param) {
        try {
          Connection conn = ds.getConnection();
          PrepareStatment stmt = conn.prepareStatment("SELECT .......");
          stmt.setInt(1,....);
          ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery();
          return Object.....;
        } catch (SQLException ex) {
          ex.printStactTrace();
        } final {
          try {
            rs.close();
            stmt.close();
            conn.close()
          } catch (Exception ex) {
            ex.printStactTrace();
          }
        }
        return null;
      }
    }

    should i pass the DataSource to my logic beans? otherwise what object should i pass....

Re: HELP: about to get datasource of struts and pass to logic beans...

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <ce...@basebeans.com>.
Take a look at a very good db example app that uses Struts on iBatis.com
caled PetStore 3.

.V

Using Input Button inside a Iterate Tag

Posted by Shantanu Deo <sd...@nc.rr.com>.
What is the mechanics of using the Input button inside of the Iterate tag.

I have my JSP as

 <TR>
       <th>Number</th>
       <th>First Name</th>
       <th>Last Name</th>
       <th>Telephone Count</th>
     <th>Address</th>
 </TR>
 <logic:iterate name="employeeList" id="employee" indexId="empNumber"
type="com.innovate.test.Employee">
  <TR>
     <TD><bean:write name="empNumber"/></TD>
     <TD><bean:write name="employee" property="fname"/></TD>
     <TD><bean:write name="employee" property="lname"/></TD>
     <TD><bean:write name="employee" property="telephoneNumberCount"/></TD>
     <TD><bean:write name="employee" property="fullAddress"/></TD>
     <TD>
property="employee_delete"  indexed="true" />
     </TD>
     <TD>
property="employee_update" indexed="true" />
     </TD>
</logic:iterate>

What should my corresponding code in Action be to recognize which of the
delete/update buttons are clicked.

Thanks in advance
Shantanu

Re: HELP: about to get datasource of struts and pass to logic beans...

Posted by Caroline Jen <ji...@yahoo.com>.
There are lots of classes involved.  I will give you
an example:

1. my LogonAction calls EditorService.java (business
delegate)
2. EditorService.java calls MySQLEditorDAO.java (data
access object implements EditorDAO.java, which is a
data access interface)
3. the MySQLEditorDAO.java returns EditorBean.java (a
Java bean with three properties)

Here is my LogonAction.java:

package org.apache.artimus.logon;

import java.io.IOException;
import javax.servlet.ServletException;
import javax.servlet.http.HttpSession;
import org.apache.struts.action.Action;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionError;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionErrors;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward;
import org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet;

import org.apache.artimus.lang.Tokens;

public final class LogonAction extends Action {

    public ActionForward execute(ActionMapping
mapping,
            ActionForm form,
            HttpServletRequest request,
            HttpServletResponse response)
        throws java.lang.Exception {

        // Obtain username and password from web tier
        String username = ((LogonForm)
form).getUsername();
        String password = ((LogonForm)
form).getPassword();

        EditorService service = new EditorService();
        EditorBean editor = service.findEditorData(
username );

        session.setAttribute( "editor", editor );

        // Log this event, if appropriate

        if (servlet.getDebug() >= Tokens.DEBUG) {
            StringBuffer message =
                new StringBuffer("LogonAction: User
'");
            message.append(username);
            message.append("' logged on in session ");
            message.append(session.getId());
            servlet.log(message.toString());
        }

        // Return success
        return (mapping.findForward(Tokens.VALID));

    }

} // End LogonAction

Here is the EditorService.java:

package org.apache.artimus.logon;

import org.apache.artimus.logon.dao.*;

public class EditorService
{
   EditorDAO ed = new MySQLEditorDAO();
   public EditorBean findEditorData( String username )
   {
      return ed.findEditor( username );
   }
}

Here is the EditorDAO.java:

package org.apache.artimus.logon.dao;

import org.apache.artimus.logon.EditorBean;
import
org.apache.artimus.logon.exceptions.EditorDAOSysException;

public interface EditorDAO.java
{
    public EditorBean findEditor( String username )
        throws EditorDAOSysException;
}

Here is the MySQLEditorDAO.java:

package org.apache.artimus.logon.dao;

import java.io.IOException;
import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.ResultSet;
import java.sql.Statement;
import java.sql.SQLException;

import org.apache.artimus.logon.EditorBean;
import
org.apache.artimus.logon.exceptions.EditorDAOSysException;
import org.apache.artimus.ConnectionPool.DBConnection;

public class MySQLEditorDAO implements EditorDAO
{
   // Here the return type is EditorBean
   public EditorBean findEditor( String username )
       throws EditorDAOSysException
   {
      Connection conn = null;
      Statement stmt = null;
      ResultSet rs = null;

      try
      {
         conn = DBConnection.getDBConnection();
         stmt = conn.createStatement();
         String query = "SELECT user_role,
journal_category FROM members WHERE user_name = '" +
username + "'";
         rs = stmt.executeQuery( query );
         if (rs.next())
         {
            return new EditorBean( username,
rs.getString( "user_role" ), rs.getString(
"journal_category" ) );
         }
         else
         {
            System.out.println( "invalid user name" );
            return null;
         }
      }
      catch (SQLException se)
      {
         throw new
EditorDAOSysException("SQLException: " +
se.getMessage());
      }
      finally
      {
         if ( conn != null )
         {
            try
            {
               rs.close();
               rs = null;
               stmt.close();
               stmt = null;
               conn.close();
            }
            catch( SQLException sqlEx )
            {
               System.out.println( "Problem occurs
while closing " + sqlEx );
            }
            conn = null;
         }
      }
   }
}

Here is the EditorBean.java:

package org.apache.artimus.logon;

import org.apache.artimus.logon.dao.*;

public class EditorBean {

   private String username;
   private String userrole;
   private String keyValue;

   static EditorDAO ed = new MySQLEditorDAO();

   public EditorBean() {}
   public EditorBean( String username, String
userrole, String keyValue )
   {
      setUsername( username );
      setUserrole( userrole );
      setKeyValue( keyValue );
   }
   public String getUsername() {
      return username;
   }
   public void setUsername( String username ) {
      this.username = username;
   }
   public String getUserrole() {
      return userrole;
   }
   public void setUserrole( String userrole ) {
      this.userrole = userrole;
   }
   public String getKeyValue() {
      return keyValue;
   }
   public void setKeyValue( String keyValue ) {
      this.keyValue = keyValue;
   }
}

Here is the DBConnection.java, which gets a connection
object from a connection pool (you have to configure
your server's connection pool):

package org.apache.artimus.ConnectionPool;

import java.sql.Connection;
import java.sql.SQLException;
import javax.naming.InitialContext;
import javax.naming.NamingException;
import javax.sql.DataSource;

public class DBConnection
{
   public static Connection getDBConnection() throws
SQLException
   {
      Connection conn = null;

      try
      {
         DataSource ds = ( DataSource ) ctx.lookup(
"java:comp/env/jdbc/MySQLDB" );

         try
         {
            conn = ds.getConnection();
         }
         catch( SQLException e )
         {
            System.out.println( "Open connection
failure: " + e.getMessage() );
         }
      }
      catch( NamingException nEx )
      {
         nEx.printStackTrace();
      }
      return conn;
   }
}

Here is the exception handling class:

package org.apache.artimus.logon.exceptions;

/**
 * EditorDAOSysException is an exception that extends
the standard
 * RunTimeException Exception. This is thrown by the
DAOs of the article
 * component when there is some irrecoverable error
(like SQLException)
 */

public class EditorDAOSysException extends
RuntimeException {

    /**
     * Constructor
     * @param str    a string that explains what the
exception condition is
     */
    public EditorDAOSysException (String str) {
        super(str);
    }

    /**
     * Default constructor. Takes no arguments
     */
    public EditorDAOSysException () {
        super();
    }