Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1998/01/23 19:42:32 UTC

Netscape sources...

Of course, our mission should be to persuade them to use a Berkeley
license, instead of GPL...

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Ingo Luetkebohle <in...@devcon.net>.
Manoj Kasichainula wrote:
> Too late <g>:
> http://www.openscape.org/

Amazing. Just five minutes ago I told a co-worker excitedly "Hey, we
could port it to gtk..." The others have been faster, it seems ;-)

---Ingo Luetkebohle
dev/consulting Gesellschaft fuer Netzwerkentwicklung und -beratung mbH
url: http://www.devconsult.de/ - fon: 0521-1365800 - fax: 0521-1365803

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Manoj Kasichainula <ma...@io.com>.
On Fri, Jan 23, 1998 at 02:15:20PM -0500, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> So maybe we should continue the tradition that started Apache
> in the first place, and set up an Apazilla repository and
> mailing list? <g>  (well, 1/2)

Too late <g>:

http://www.openscape.org/

"'Why do you blow on people?' I don't know." -- Benny Hinn

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
So maybe we should continue the tradition that started Apache
in the first place, and set up an Apazilla repository and
mailing list? <g>  (well, 1/2)

#ken	P-)}

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
Yeah, I'm not so sure that it would be a realistic thing to ask for.  GPL
gives them more control over redistributions and derivatives, which I can
see from their perspective is very important.

	Brian

specialization is for insects				  brian@organic.com

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Ingo Luetkebohle wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Of course, our mission should be to persuade them to use a Berkeley
> > license, instead of GPL...
>
> Please. Discussion about pros and cons of the various free licenses is
> just what the "serious" business press (e.g, zd) needs to laugh about a
> move that could mean a big change in the way software development is
> undertaken.
>
> (or was that meant as a joke?)

I'm serious. Natch, this is small potatoes in comparison to the
momentous move NS are making, but it'll be the icing on the cake if they
get the license right.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Ingo Luetkebohle <in...@devcon.net>.

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Marc Slemko wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
> >
> > > Of course, our mission should be to persuade them to use a Berkeley
> > > license, instead of GPL...
> >
> > They aren't using GPL so it is a moot point.
>
> Hmm... could've sworn they said they were, but I can't find the page
> now...

They said it will continue the heritage of the GPL or something like that.

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@leland.Stanford.EDU>.
On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > Of course, our mission should be to persuade them to use a Berkeley
> > license, instead of GPL...
>
> They aren't using GPL so it is a moot point.

They'll probably use the Microsoft version of the GPL: "We'll give you
source, but you can't give it to anyone else, and if you make any changes,
you *have* to send a copy back to us, for our free use."

-- Alexei Kosut <ak...@stanford.edu> <http://www.stanford.edu/~akosut/>

Re: Netscape sources...

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.

Re: Netscape sources...